New Rifle and Preaching to the choir

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bohemianway

New Rifle and Preaching to the choir

Post by bohemianway »

I just received my second, off the rack, rifle new from Shiloh. It is a basic Hartford 3" heavy oct., military butt, semi-buckhorn with no other options. As always I am amazed at the fit and finish. I am very particular and can only find a couple of nearly imperceptible flaws (I hate to call it that). I have three on order so my expectations are probably unreasonable now. I am not posting pictures because we all know what a base Hartford looks like. Although the wood is very nice and no of those annoying knots you see sometimes.

Thanks to Kirk and Lucinda
Distant Thunder

Re: New Rifle and Preaching to the choir

Post by Distant Thunder »

I'm guessing that it's a 30" barrel, but what cartridge is it chambered for?

We may all know what a base Hartford looks like, but I for one never get tired of seeing pictures of a new rifle. I think there is something in the forum rules about having to post a picture or two when you get a new rifle even if it isn't some special order rifle with a long list of options. Even a plain jane 1874 Shiloh Sharps is something special and if the truth be told I like the less fancied up rifle better.

Please post a picture!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

I will try to post a picture. Since it was off the shelf it is in 45-70 which is not my preference except that is is correct as a late Hartford and easy to get components. My others on order are 40-50 BN, .44, 50-90.

Charles
Distant Thunder

Which .44 cartridge?

I was thinking it was probably a .45-70 and that is a great cartridge. I shoot more .45-70 rounds each year than all the others combined for that very reason. it's a great cartridge!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bobw

Post by bobw »

44 what?
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Distant Thunder wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:02 am Which .44 cartridge?

I was thinking it was probably a .45-70 and that is a great cartridge. I shoot more .45-70 rounds each year than all the others combined for that very reason. it's a great cartridge!
You and I usually have some opposing view points, but we agree on the 45-70. The cost and availibility of 45-70 brass is a major plus factor. Utilitarian too, my standard ppb 45-2.1" loads exceed the performance levels of people shooting greasers in a 45-2.4". But too each his own....bobw
bobw
Distant Thunder

Bob,

I am surprised to hear we are "usually" in opposition, I did not think it was so! We do have different viewpoints and I see that as a good thing. Our different viewpoints are a result of our different experiences. I read your posts and find useful information and often entertainment in them. The exchange of different ideas is what these forums are for.

The availability and relatively low cost of brass and other components is a big plus for the .45-70. The real reason it has survived when so many other good cartridges have not done so well is that it is not too big and not too small. Big enough to get the job done yet small enough to be easily balanced and achieve fine accuracy and ample power. It bridges the gap between black and smokeless powder like few others have been able to. It truly is one of the all time great cartridges.

Many years ago I used 86 grains of 1 1/2 Swiss in my .45-90 with a GG bullet for Creedmoor, but these days I use 83 grains in my .45-70 with a PP bullet. Both loads performed very well for me, but the PP bullet in my .45-70 over 83 grains has proven to be the better load. I hesitate to mention that last part because so many people are very sensitive.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

Actually it is just .44 Caliber (aka Hartford patterned 1863 Sporting rifle). I have all kinds of military percussion models (Shiloh and original) and know I will never find an original 1859 or 63 Sporting model. My preference would be .40 Caliber but .44 is an original option so it has to be that.

Charles