Shiloh's "Victory Mould"

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Texas Shooter

Shiloh's "Victory Mould"

Post by Texas Shooter »

I was reading about the Victory Mould made for the "Ped............" Sharps.

Here is the link:

http://www.victorymolds.com/

Are these claims real? If so, is there and equivilant for the Shiloh?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
mrrangerman

Post by mrrangerman »

Texas Shooter

I couldn't tell you if the claims are real, but if you look at the price they're just as much as a Paul Jones and Steve Brooks mould, both of which have been proven. I'm getting ready to buy me another mould and I think I'm going to for now stay with my first choice which is a PJ 45001. I do have a SB mould for my 63 and do have to say it's a good mould. But I have just read to much good things on the PJ 45001 from people on this web site not to try it.

Good Shootin
Dan
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

The main focus seems to be on truly concentric or round bullets. The specs they are quoting are virtually the same as Paul Jones. So they seem to have recently "invented" something PJ has been doing for years .. making high quality molds machined to tight tolerances. PJ gets my vote.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Texas shooter,

Apparently the Pedersoli Victory bullet shoots quite good at least in the Pedersoli guns. Over on 1 of the MSN forums (www.groups.msn.com/BPCR/messages.msnw) under the topic "Pedersoli victory mould loans" is a comment that 1 rifleman recently shot a perfect 100 2x score with this bullet at 1000 yards. Apparently he was using a John Bodine pedersoli roller; they didn't indicate the caliber or anything else about the loads. Nevertheless, that is better shooting than a lot of the center-fire and service rifle people in our local club shoot at 1000 yards.

As others have indicated the moulds are just as expensive as those made by Paul Jones, and as far as I know it is anyones guess how they perform in other rifles. My guess is that it won't be to long until someone test drives the Victory bullets in other rifles.

Regards
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

The mould in question was designed by Dick Trenk, the US Pedersoli representative and Dr. Gunn to specifically fit the Pedersoli 45 cal chambers. I do not know how the Shilo chamber compares but the bullet likely would perform well. It would have to be awfully good to best the Paul Jones moulds though.

Try this site for an explanation of the bullet's design;

http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/general.msnw ... 7848575129
Jerry
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I just got confirmation fron Dick Trenk that I am next on the list for one of the loaner moulds should be here around the end of the week. I am going to shoot it in both a pedrosoli and a shiloh and see how it works .supposed to have a lot of lube on it and a lot less elevation need than comperable bullets

WE will see . I am looking foreward to the tests.

......................................................................................Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Dean:

I am looking forward to your test.

If there is something to having it made to fit a particular chamber, then if it works well in the Ped.........., and not in the Shiloh, then it should be a relatively easy task to do the same from a Shiloh Chamber.

BTW: Does anyone know what the 45-70 chamber size is (According to the specs) for the Ped..............

Further, what the specs are for the Shiloh.

I to have heard that the 45001 mould is about as good as it gets.

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
EwingYoung

Post by EwingYoung »

Hi, I have already used the PGT mould. I was able to get minute of angle at 200 yards and very close to minute of angle at 800 yards. This was in a Pedersoli 47/70. That mould cast about .4575 bullets with 1:30. I gave some to a friend who used them in a Shilo 45/100. In a 600 yard gong match we shoot he had his best score to date. This bullet has four large lube grooves of which I used three as I do on my NEI Postell and Gunn-modified. The PGT holds almost twice as much lube as the others.
The Pedersoli is supposed to have a short straight .460 throat which the first band is to fit tightly.

A drawing with specs. is at http://bpcr.net/index-a.htmbpcr.net . Scroll down to find it.

I haven't used a PJ yet but intend to do so shortly. I expect it to also be exceptional.

I believe the John Bodine ironramrod referred to was a 45/90. I don't know the load.

ewing
EwingYoung

Post by EwingYoung »

Sorry, that link does't work. If you go to bpcr.net and enter then scroll down to find the drawing.

ewing
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

In some recent testing at the ram line, I got some really good results with PJ's AA Smerker bullet I had cast with 30-1. I had the mold lightened up to 550 grains and had the front band reduced to bore size. I typically dip lube these but to check for roundness and uniformity, I ran some through my .458 sizer and the bullet did not touch the sizer anywhere. It seemed very round to me. I would leave the front band on this bullet if I had it to do over again. If you have some desires other than Paul's regular stock items, call him and talk to him about it,he will do his best to help you.

I also have a Steve Brooks Postell mold that is .4575 that is shooting wonderfully in my BPCR's. I would say that if you have a bullet design that you know for a fact works in your rifle, send a bullet to Steve Brooks and he will make you a lathe bored mold that will cast very fine, very round bullets.

The quality of your bullets is a very important part of accuracy as are other parts of your loading. For instance, the new Shiloh bullet seating tool will seat your nice round bullets perfectly in the case every time. This concentricity is vital to long range accuracy IMHO......

I've rambled enough, I would like to add that the positive reports regarding the Victory molds coming from other shooters is a very good indication of the quality of product. I just don't have first hand experience with them and I try not to post on heresay.

Later, Barvid Dayfield
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Dang. Sounds like the bullet is performing well. As I have a Pedersoli rifle, if I ever get into moulding my own pills, I'll definitely consider that mould as a front runner, if they get it into production, that is.

I have noticed the throat in my rifle is pretty short. Using a Saeco 1880, I have to seat it almost completely in the case, or the cartridge will not chamber, even with a clean chamber. I suppose with the right bullet shape, this can definitely be made into an advantage.
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

Matthew
The PGT mould is in production by Victory Moulds at this address;

http://www.victorymolds.com/index.htm

Cost is high but apparently quality is good.

Jerry
Jerry
Matthew_Q

Post by Matthew_Q »

Cool... then I'm sure it will be in production when I get around to getting into casting.

I will probably start on a cheaper 'cookie cutter' type mold like a Saeco or Lyman, so I don't end up buggering up a nice mould.

It would likely be next spring before I ramp up for moulding my own. I look forward to the satisfaction of getting lead on target accurately with my own bullets. There must be an inherent satisfaction in it... in every aspect, when you can say "I did that!"
KHR

Post by KHR »

matt
a great mould for your sharps is the old Lyman 520gn Gov (459125 I think) it is very accurate in my ped billy dixon.

Hi all,
This week I just got in my first Paul Jones moulds. I got the 45001 and the 40001. I was highly highly impressed. the mould blocks are works of art. There was no more than 1 grain variation in weight over all rounds cast. They are expensive, but are far more economical than one would think, I would never have spent $ on so many other moulds if I had known their quality. I had them cut to match my bores. I plan on shooting them as soon as central texas dries out.
:-)
keith
Some originals and some Shilohs.
Molon Labe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Keith,

Please don't send anymore of that weather over here. We are plenty wet and tired from dodging tornados. Hope you dry out enough to go shoot soon. Hope we dry out enough to go shoot soon.
Lee Stone