Smokeless 45-110

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Scota4570

Post by Scota4570 »

Interesting topic. I would try paper patched bullets and duplex loads, if I suspected the lube was too frozen. Make some and freeze them in a zipper baggie. Transport them to the range in a cooler with blue ice and shoot them as you take them out of the cooler.
North of 56

Post by North of 56 »

I thought I would bring this up to the top again, I heading out on a Moose hunt next week and I using my cold weather smokeless load. I’ve shot several hundred rounds this summer and It still continues to shoot great!

Darrin
Sporter #1 45-110, with all the good stuff!
Bull Barrelled #3, 45-110 with even more good stuff !
cas

Post by cas »

My "suggestions"... 45-90 smokeless loads, with Pufflon, seated deep.
"Good gun for buffalo. Problem is there aren't any here abouts."
swandme

Re: Smokeless 45-110

Post by swandme »

maybe I'm crazy but I LOVE my 45-110 Sharps early 2000 mfg

My gunsmith go me started with this load back in 2008 and its unbeatable

73.3 grains of Surplus 5010 ( 50 BMG Powder ) 100% case fill with cast 535 Postell

its a tack driver and CLEAN as a whistle

your millage may very and swim at your own risk but I swear by it
SWandME
Trigger1212

Post by Trigger1212 »

Just curious, what velocity are you getting with your 5744 load?

Cheers!

Wade
semtav

Post by semtav »

swandme wrote:maybe I'm crazy but I LOVE my 45-110 Sharps early 2000 mfg

73.3 grains of Surplus 5010 ( 50 BMG Powder ) 100% case fill with cast 535 Postell

untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bobw

Post by bobw »

swandme wrote:maybe I'm crazy but I LOVE my 45-110 Sharps early 2000 mfg

You are a new guy here, welcome. Next point, Shiloh buys and pays for this website for the benefit of it's customers, and others who aren't customers of Shiloh realize much benefit of the know how and advice of black powder shooters who visit this site and give others their help. That is it's purpose, but coming on here and giving advice on how to load large capacity Sharps cases with smokeless is contrary to what Shiloh has all ways advocated." Large cases are made for bp and if you want to shoot smokeless use a cartridge that has smokeless factory ammo loaded for it. 45-70, 38-55,30-40 etc." It's their policy and it's pretty simple. While your load might be good , offering it here on the Shiloh site is in bad taste, it's against their policy. bobw
bobw
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

having used duplex charging in my big 50 90 Shiloh and others, I found NO reason to do it.
yes, it helps the large charge of BP, (and you must fill the case with BP!) burn cleaner, However, it does not
mean you get to clean once a day. I found it still fouled and I had to clean it as per usual, between shots or every three.
NOW, I increases the pressure levels and the kick, make that KICK of the gun.

I will not give load advice, because I think it only leads to split cases, big recoil, and an easy way to mess up and put too much
powder in a case.

BP will give you everything you need....duplex is only logical when you want to turn a 40 50 into a 40 70 in power, or a 45 70 into a 45 120
And you don't have to do any of that..BP works..
so. LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE.
he who goes looking for trouble, usually finds it!
Ken
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Had a buddy who retired and moved to a small village about 50 miles east of Everett, Washington, in the woods in a cabin on seven acres of forest near Gold Bar near Mount Baker on a creek. Visited him once at Christmas. Extremely cold and snow up to your ears. Anyway, he was an avid hunter who hunted everything with a Q110 with a case full of Goex Fg and a Federal 215 primer.
gws

Post by gws »

Trail Boss is another powder option for large cases. I use it for 458 lott and 450/400 NE. There is lots of info on the web about Trail Boss and large cases.
TSRA - Life, NRA -Benefactor
BFD

Post by BFD »

I guess, I'd let Shiloh police their policy on reloading advice regardless of powder. I don't pretend to know what it is, and I don't see anything explicitly prohibiting it.

Meanwhile, it is interesting to me that there is a powder that might fill such a case and be (apparently) safe.

I don't see such messages as any more dangerous than someone describing how he hunted a cape buffalo or polar bears with a Sharps, and we wouldn't argue about the appropriateness of that sort of post, even if we didn't particularly agree with the ordinance being used.

I like hearing about different things, and I will continue to let Shiloh set and enforce their own policy.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

You are a new guy here, welcome. Next point, Shiloh buys and pays for this website for the benefit of it's customers, and others who aren't customers of Shiloh realize much benefit of the know how and advice of black powder shooters who visit this site and give others their help. That is it's purpose, but coming on here and giving advice on how to load large capacity Sharps cases with smokeless is contrary to what Shiloh has all ways advocated." Large cases are made for bp and if you want to shoot smokeless use a cartridge that has smokeless factory ammo loaded for it. 45-70, 38-55,30-40 etc." It's their policy and it's pretty simple. While your load might be good , offering it here on the Shiloh site is in bad taste, it's against their policy. bobw
+1
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I have killed buffalo at -6 below zero with a BP load and a generous grease cookie up to 16 consecutive shots in testing with out wiping using a .441 bullet and thick paper, in my 45-110 Shiloh Business rifle, you don’t need smokes to hunt.

Kenny Wasserburger

The above combination has killed 4 buffalo on 4 separate occasions.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I am not an expert but fir the life of my I don't know why people buy thes rifles that were made to shoot Black Powder and the want to shoot Smokeless? It takes no more effort to clean Black Powder that smokeless. I seen pictures and heard nightmare stories of what has happened sometimes by doing so. I value my safety of myself and other shooters around me to never try Smokeless. Plus the cost of my rifles.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

My Washington State friend liked the Lyman 457193 cast from wheel weights. He was proud of his two 5-gallon paint buckets full of wheel weights.