Black Powder Target Rifle National Championships

Do you have a shoot or special event coming up soon? Tell us here.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SFogler

Re: Black Powder Target Rifle National Championships

Post by SFogler » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:44 pm

...15-20 mph fishtailing wind from 6:00 and changing directions. This lead to fairly large deviations in point-of-impact. Sand was blowing everywhere in the pits, which was very nasty. I had reports of a 12 MOA right shift for a .308 Win. that lasted a very short time, while also dropping five to six MOA.
They call that wind????

SFogler

Post by SFogler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:25 pm

On 9 Nov 2018 I wrote this letter to the NRA Board:

Dear Fellow Members of the National Rifle Association:

I am a recent competitor in Black Powder Rifle Matches. I love the sport even though I have been shooting black powder for less than three years and have been competing for just over one year. I compete locally in monthly BP silhouette matches but my passion is the Creedmoor style long range 1000 yard matches in BPTR competition followed closely by the mid-range competition. I have competed at the Rocky Mountain Regional match in Byers, CO twice and in the USIMLA and AZ State 1000 championship matches at Ben Avery Range in Phoenix, AZ. I plan to compete again in each of these matches. Most recently I competed in the NRA National Creedmoor Match at Whittington Center, NM in October of this year. I contribute to and read several black powder oriented forums and have been amazed and disgusted by the NRA’s negative attitude and mismanagement and lack of concern for BPTR competition. I am new to the “politics” surrounding the scheduling, administration, and hosting of the black powder events and it is certainly been a complete “turn off”. I would never have competed in the NRA events due to this unwholesome atmosphere except I could not resist a try at the Creedmoor Nationals no matter the internal difficulties. After all the NRA was the organization that first organized the Creedmoor matches so long ago and I have rifles that would have won them then – I wanted to see how close I could come to winning a similar match now. The match I attended was run by Greg Burri who did an outstanding job organizing and controlling the event.
At the members meeting at the Whittington Center following Day 1 of the Creedmoor match, I heard that the NRA was not at all interested in BPTR competition and did not want to deal with it. I find that hard to believe. The NRA needs all the support it can get and BPTR shooters are about as “dyed in the wool” as they come. I cannot fathom why the NRA would actively seek to exclude an historic and important part of the shooting sports… and thumb their nose at potentially the most loyal NRA supporters in the country.
A fixed date for BPTR sports at the Whittington Center for several years out into the future and a little cooperation and support from the NRA would go a long way to dispelling the perception that the NRA has abandoned, or worse, specifically targeting a shooting sport for extinction.
Bottom Line:
1. Let’s get some firm dates agreed on for all the BPTR events and have the events at the Whittington Center. Those dates should be firm for a several year block of time so people can prepare and plan to attend them for years into the future.
2. Show some willingness to support ALL the shooting sports regardless if they are in “decline” or not.
3. FWIW: the black powder only rule should be kept in place. The intent is to compete using Black Powder ammunition.

I received the following response today:
scan0001 (2) (616x800).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Raymond Hanson

Post by Raymond Hanson » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:04 am

Steve It is unfortunate that you were not able to get involved in this sport back about 25 years ago. People were excited about hitting the target twice in a row. Attendance records were being broken annually. I do not remember any feuding or fighting amongst either the shooters nor the NRA. Every one involved was having a good time and really had the best interests of the sport at heart. But that time seems to have past. Too bad. Take care Raymond Hanson