Grand Slams and Other NRA Announcements

Do you have a shoot or special event coming up soon? Tell us here.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

desert deuce

Re: Grand Slams and Other NRA Announcements

Post by desert deuce » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:05 pm

I was sitting on a bench directly behind Ron Calderone when he shot ten chickens in a row with Dave Mauer spotting at Tucson Rifle Club. I seem to recall a write up in shooting sports recognizing this accomplishment.

At the 2018 BPTR National Championships I was spotting for Chip Mate when he broke the standing National Record for 200 yard offhand. He retained the target. I believe Chip also set the national record under the new course of fire in midrange position and maybe prone also, not sure. Talked to Chip today, he has not received any of the awards and has inquired several times about them.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:25 am

Anyone recall a song from days gone by titled, "The Sound of Silence" ?

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am

That's a shame that fine shooting wasn't passed on. Maybe the match director didn't relay the information or did it improperly, or it was lost.

The match director should be contacted and see if a scoreboard pic was taken, who attended the match that could possibly sign off on the accomplishment, etc, etc. It's like putting together a criminal case on an act that occurred years prior..start at the beginning and take it step by step.
Submit your findings with the " evidence' and see if it meets the NRA's criteria after the time that has passed.

At our matches..We have a scoreboard that folks can take pics of. We keep the score cards a year..sometimes longer. We fill out the forms and keep the copy. We submit the record, 10 in a row etc. Now that everything is electronic, it's VERY easy to keep records in cases such as these.

I hope your quest is successful and you find all the information needed to get those shooters recognized.
If you need to ask " What just happened?' you have probably lost.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Glen Ring wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:38 am
That's a shame that fine shooting wasn't passed on. Maybe the match director didn't relay the information or did it improperly, or it was lost.
The NRA either lost it, disregarded it, or most likely just didn't give a damn.

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:29 pm

Possibly all the above..but if someone wants the record or accomplishment recorded now, they should take the steps to make it happen..if they are capable.
Jeanne had problems getting things past one FORMER NRA employee ..but that person is now free in the private sector to be a gatekeeper elsewhere. Aaron farmer is really doing a good job with what he has to work with.

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:13 pm

I agree, Aaron seems to be a great guy and is working his butt off for us. No matter how hard he works he is going to have a tough time fixing all the messes that were left for him.

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:45 am

Yes. Especially with the limited staff and other resources the competition division has at its disposal these days. Having to share the IT staff with the political/propaganda wing of the NRA being the biggest drawbacks when those folks are surfing the net for the best resorts to stay in and places to eat & sleep for those at the top. To say nothing of where to spend that $30,000 on a clothes buying day.
Glenn

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:17 am

If you only knew?

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 am

Aaron was a career marine...I think once he sets his mind on something , he'll accomplish his mission. We are very fortunate to have him. He doesn't whine or make excuses..the past is out of his control, the future..he can work with. Some folks may be intent on tearing down bridges for whatever reason. Aaron is all about building bridges with the shooters. If you ever get a chance, sit down and chat with him. He's a very good young man I think..and a natural leader. I was really against the electronic match thing. Most of us don't like change..but after Aaron explained things I looked at all this from a different angle. Like preserving evidence, if the electronic system were in place the lost scores and records would be VERY retrievable now...if they were entered. I think this virus break will make some of us realize how lucky we are to have ranges to shoot at , matches to compete in and most of all..Match directors to take on the headache of running matches.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:34 am

Very interesting Editorial Page 2, Black Powder Cartridge News, Issue #109

There is frequently a huge gulf between demonstrated fact and wishful thinking as in what is happening with silhouette as opposed to what one may be presenting or hoping is happening. Which is understandable if ones shooting glasses are tinted in rose color and the shooter is generally uninformed of recent history. Then, of course, there are facts that are so troubling that few want to hear them.

If I recall correctly Greg Conners was a career marine.

There are some interesting points made in Art of War that may also be worthy of consideration.

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:56 am

Yep
I really respect and admire Marines. I was buds with a Gunny that was trained to shoot by Greg many, many years ago. He really admired Greg and I liked Greg also.
Read art of war decades ago. I have never been at war with anyone...even with folks that pointed guns at me or faced me in a fight. .
Pat History involving other folks is not something I would dwell on. The past can never be changed...but the future can be.
I am the eternal optimist for sure.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:08 am

I noticed that you deleted your first reply and replaced it with this one. I suspect that I know from whom you learned to do that.

Reading your writings I must ask, Did you also help President Lincoln draft the emancipation proclamation?

Glen Ring

Post by Glen Ring » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:06 pm

Whatever dude. Let's just be friends.

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:20 pm

Good to see this has turned into a love-fest.

Now a question................
If one is shooting a 60-shot match and misses animal #2 on the 1st bank and then cleans 10-in-a-row.......... is that a 10-pin and would it count towards a grand slam?
Glenn

jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:50 pm

The match is not NRA sanctioned, so the NRA will not count anypart of it towards anything. As far as row pins, I will have to check with my com-padres for an official ruling. Thanks for the questions!