Lawrence Sight Option?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Griff

Lawrence Sight Option?

Post by Griff » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:07 am

I seem to remember hearing that a Lawrence style rear sight is a non cataloged option from Shiloh, but I'm not sure. I'm trying to iron out the details for the rifle I ordered last August. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm joining the ranks of those trying to duplicate an early "typical" buffalo rifle and I'd like to try to match the sight design if possible. I already have a Distant Thunder tang sight ready to go.

Thanks.

Griff

Eric Johanen

Re: Lawrence Sight Option?

Post by Eric Johanen » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:13 pm

They are available. I believe Shiloh try to keep some on hand for requests. I have mounted 3 of the long staff rifle sights on my 50-70 Military Rifle, My 44-77 Hartford heavy barrel and a C. Sharps 50-90 #2 heavy barrel (my "Lucrezia" buffalo rifle.) Great sights and are easy to carry in the hand. Don"t get poked by the sight ears of the semi or full buckhorns. More elevation than one could ever use. If you want one give Shiloh a call.

august west

Post by august west » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:23 am

I've also heard they keep them at Shiloh. I've specified one for my next rifle and will for the one after that, too. You can also get a hand crank grain mill for the stock if you ask nice. (That was a joke...)
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:52 am

Coffee grinder was pretty much a failed idea, However a patch box would look very nice on an early buffalo rifle.

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:56 am

You could contact Stephen Broud about one of his Hartford front sights. Very nice on a early Sharps rifle.

Griff

Post by Griff » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:12 am

Thanks for the replies, gents! I'd ask for the coffee mill, but I never learned to like coffee. Maybe I could put tea in a patch box...

Does Stephen Broud frequent this forum or is there another way to find out more about his sights?

Griff

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:38 am

He posts occasionally here but more often on the Historic Shooting forum. They are a bit pricy but well worth the cost to have a accurate period sight on your Hartford rifle.

august west

Post by august west » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:44 am

I just took delivery of one for my next rifle and it's a gorgeous piece of work.
"It ain't like it used to be but...it'll do." - Old Man Sykes

Griff

Post by Griff » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:08 am

Thanks again, folks!

Planning, waiting, researching, making decisions, waiting, changing my mind, waiting, making more decisions, waiting... Ah, the time between placing the order and finalizing the perimeters -- such sweet sorrow.

Griff

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 am

Griff, Hurts so good don't it? My 44-770 was a buffalo/hunting rifle from the get go. My soon to arrive 77 I did change a few things before it entered production A little adjustment on the finish and a change on the barrel chambering. It's all part of the fun!

TAA

Post by TAA » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:32 am

Period accurate rear sight. I bought a Lawrence ladder sight from Shiloh a few years back.

Would it be be accurate for a Bridgeport version of a Sharps? I have the sight but have not installed it yet.

Thanks!

Tom

Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:24 am

Yes. Most rifles from the Bridgeport period seem to be fitted with a blade front rather than the Hartford post. If you ask Stephen for a Hartford ask for a bronze post best for all light conditions. Do really like them!