New MVA sight rocks

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MSalyards

New MVA sight rocks

Post by MSalyards »

So I purshased a new sight from MVA and when I installed it I broke one of the screw heads unknowingly. When I found it and was able to remove the rest of the screw, I sat the sight on the rifle and it rocks. If I were to screw down the front screw, there is a air gap between the back of the sight and the rifle maybe a business card thick. Not normal right?
Randy Bohannon

Re: New MVA sight rocks

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Not normal , I have had one screw break and MVA sent two. I was told by MVA that the heat treatment sometimes makes the screws brittle. Certainly not laying flat against the receiver is a problem,if you can snap some pictures showing the problem send them to MVA. Bet they can diagnose either the sight or the rifle is the problem.
You didn’t mention what rifle or sight,so I’m assuming a Shiloh and have doubts that it’s the rifle, has a tang sight been mounted on the rifle before ?
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

If it's a model 77 when you tighten the sight screws it puts the proper tension on the sight spring. The spring extends down a bit when not mounted. the sight will rock somewhat before the screws are tight. When mounted and tightened the spring bends to the correct place to keep the sight vertical. I know it sounds odd but it works.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Its a recent #3 sporter and It is the sight. They did send me screws and the spring is not touching . #130, it fits up in the sight frame. It has a tiny rock when set on a piece of glass.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

MSalyards wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:44 am Its a recent #3 sporter and It is the sight. They did send me screws and the spring is not touching . #130, it fits up in the sight frame. It has a tiny rock when set on a piece of glass.
Why don't you call MVA and ask the sights maker?
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

They don.t seem to answer the damn phone, I have also emailed them and did recieve 2 screws but no answer on the sight base. I was gonna try to flaten it myself but I decieded to just slide a shim under one end to take up the space.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Either shim or stone the base, tang and receiver tops are seldom a perfect uniform surface curve after the polishing.
kw
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

Coat the base of the sight with lipstick. Put in place and move it slightly and you’ll see if you have high spots on the tang of the rifle.
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

Coat the base of the sight with lipstick. Put in place and move it slightly and you’ll see if you have high spots on the tang of the rifle.
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

Most likely the radius on the bottom of the base is not quite parallel with the base. You could take your sight to your local hardware and find something round that’s close to the size. With some wet or dry sandpaper you might be able to smooth it out so that it doesn’t rock or at least not as bad.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Got it taken care of.
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Glad it is taken care of. Mind sharing what the problem turned out to be and the fix?
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

After someone mentioned the spring, I played with it and was able to ajust it to fit without shimming or taking any metal off.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I just recently installed a new MVA tang sight on my newest 16# Shiloh. I levelled the rifle with a level laying on the heavy barrel flat first. Then, I did some very light sanding on the rear sight's base where it meets the tang. A dark room and a pen light worked quite well. I then wiped a little Neverseez on the mounting screws, and tightened. It consistently shoots true as the range increases (on calm days). I've done this on all (3) of my Shilohs. FWIW, only one of the three rear sights needed fine-tuning like this.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.