shiloh order on floor

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Maj Bob Lee

Post by Maj Bob Lee »

I got the call last Thursday on my rifle. It ships this week! My order invoice was dated Feb 10, 2003 so that's only about 8 months! Sporter #1 34 inch heavy octagon barrel 45-110.... YEEHAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
"A miltia when properly formed are in fact the people themselves and include all men capable of bearing arms..To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms.." Richard Henry Lee 1788
Trapdoor_Billy

Post by Trapdoor_Billy »

I think that order number and date is not the only factor. I have an order # and date lower than some of those mentioned, so what you have ordered may have some bearing on it. In my case a 74 Carbine.
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy
Tim Kauffman

Order on floor

Post by Tim Kauffman »

From what I've been told its not really possible to get a time estimate for a completed rifle (my order is for a 16 Ib. 50-90, placed in Feb.) because of too many unpredictables such as old, inactive orders that get re-activated and go to the front of the line or because of people such as myself who have included special requests with the order which also slows down the process :) So you are right, there is more involved in the waiting period length than just order # or date. So I've found the time goes by faster if you get your head into such things as fine tune loading combinations, researching the buffalo hunting days, etc. If anyone else has suggestions on passing time until the big day comes how about passing it on. Tumbleweed Tim.
bigfifty

As Time Goes Bye

Post by bigfifty »

Waiting.... it is not easy, mostly you just endure. I waited 12 years and 4 Shiloh Sharps to end up with what I really wanted in the begining:- A 'Honest To God Buffalo Rifle'. My first one I ordered in 1980, waited 8 months for. Wanted a big bull barrel .50 caliber; talked myself into a 12 lb .45 2 7/8". Thought brass and moulds would be easier. Ha ! A snare and a delusion Gentleman ! It was stolen and not wanting to wait another 8 months for a 'custom', I bought an 'off-the-shelf' Sporter Model #3, in .45 2 1/10". At 9 1/2 lbs, I felt it to be too light and well... common. Sold it. Rifle number 3, waited 2 1/2 years for, was another .45 2 7/8". A beautiful rifle but.... some of us are slow learners ! So I sold this one, to pay for the next. I would regret this. The order dated 12/01/95, Was exactly right ! What a luckly few hunters had, in Kansas, fall of 1872. In .50 2 1/2". 0f course. With a 30" barrel for 16 lb rifle; military buttstock; Lawrence rear and blade front sights; pewter forend tip; fire blued screws; and a bone charcoal finish. Finely a 'proper' Sharps. It was delivered 09/24/02. It was worth the wait. It really was ! We have to thank Wolf, for starting the Company and reintroducing the 1874 Sharps. But the Bryan family have realy 'kept the faith'. They have made this into the finest of the Sharps Rifles available, and indeed into one of the finest rifles made anywhere. Why else would people wait years for delivery. Thank you all. take care. Bigfifty.
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Bigfifty:

I to wish to own a "proper" Buffalo rifle. The rifle you described, 50-90, 16 pound bull barrel, pewter tip, pistol grip? I called Shiloh to see if they had one of these "off the shelf". I was ready to buy, while by other two Sharps are waiting to be built. Well they don't stock these types of rifles. I must be wierd, but I was really surprised given the demand for their products, that they didn't have them without a special order. The nice lady told me that they don't stock anything in "Obsolete Calibers".

Italy doesn't seem to have a problem selling 45-100, 45-110, 45-120. Oh well, go figure.

Since we're speaking about it, Everyone, what would be your "Buffalo" rifle of choice?

Happy Halloween,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Mine would be a plain jane Hartford model, military stock, steel butt plate, pewter tip, heavy full octagon barrel in 50-70 or 50-90.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
bigfifty

Buffalo Rifles

Post by bigfifty »

Texas Shooter: It has a military butt, so is a straight grip. I was priveledged to see about 4 or 5 such heavy rifles at the 'big show' in Denver 2 years ago. Got to handle and sight down a 16 lb in .45 2 7/8" lettered to Ft. Griffon, Texas. A wonderful experience. Can't have and shoot those originals, so I bought a 'new' one, from the 'new' factory. Take care, Bigfifty.
Trapdoor_Billy

Post by Trapdoor_Billy »

How does one know when it is on the floor?
Trapdoor Billy
Indian Scout and Delaware Cowboy
Lead Slinger

Post by Lead Slinger »

Texas Shooter:

My ideal "Buff Gun" Sharps 1874, .50-2.5 inch, 30 inch octagon barrel, 14 pounds, straight stock with steel shotgun butt, plain wood, DST, front globe sight with post, rear standard tang sight, bone and charcoal case hardened. A no-nonsense work gun for a professional hunter in 1874.
Man I can see Billy Dixon or J Wright Mooar with this same rifle on the Kansas praire now.

There is nothing like the thump of a heavy sharps on a set of crossed sticks, and the smell of black powder smoke to help clear your head of worry, and enjoy the day. :D
Remember, God shoots a Sharps Lead Slinger
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

And the large white cloud drifting across the range
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Tim Kauffman

Anybody hear yet?

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Speaking of buff guns has anyone heard if their order for a 16 Ib. rifle is on the floor yet? Just curious. Tumbleweed Tim
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Tim:

Is the 16 lbs. barrel a 34 inch tube?

Thanks,

Texas Shooter
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
Tim Kauffman

Bull Barrel

Post by Tim Kauffman »

Texas Shooter:

As far as I know, the max. length for a bull barrel is 30 in. The one I ordered was 30 in. As far as a shorter length you'd need to check with the good folks at Shiloh on that. If I had to, I would guess that 30 in. was the only length but I could be wrong on that. Tumblewed Tim