sight removal question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Badger

sight removal question

Post by Badger »

I want to take off my open sights and put on tang and globe sights and probably put in a filler for the rear sight dovetail. What 's the best way to remove the open sights? Do they drift out from left to right or right to left. Using a brass punch, going from left to right I could not get the front sight to move. Thanks
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi, Knock it right to left, it's tight, but it will come out. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Kirk, I know this is a dumb question, but to remove the front sight from right to left, is this from the breech end looking forward to the sight??
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken as you well know, I am not Kirk, but yes, from looking fron the butt of the stock to the muzzle. I know, I had the same question when I replaced my front sight and put a dovetail blank in the rear. This question comes up so often I think that the answer to it should be included in the consumer package that Shiloh and other Mfgs put with the rifle. It would certainly save having to answer it every couple of weeks on the web-site.

The best thing to do however is to order the sights that you want on the rifle to begin with. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Omaha that's a real good ideal, but if you want to use several diff sights you have to remove one first! :lol: :wink: However, I think I am going to put my Ron Heilman front globe on and use it for hunting also, I think it will work just fine, I'm going to the range with it next week to see what I think of it. The reason I asked the Heilman globe goes in from right to left, the same way the Shiloh goes out.
Shiloh Rules!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, the globe and a medium post worked great for Mike Davis and me during our buffalo hunt. Just try to have the sun at your back, not always easy to do in hunting situations, but it can be very hard to see the front sight in certain conditions. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

That was the thing I was worried about, but I hope the Heilman will work ok, it has a slot cut in the top to let in some light even in low light. I think it will work just fine, but I want to try it on the range first to see. I also have a Heilman tang but I think I will use the buckhorn and the globe. What rear sight did you guys use???
Shiloh Rules!!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, we both used our tang sights. I don't recall exactly what Mike was using, but mine was the MVA Buffalo Long Range Soule, with the Magnum Hadley Eyepiece. It worked great. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Thanks Omaha, I sure do appreciate it!
Shiloh Rules!!