Longer stem for #104 Tang?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

fifty-seventy

Longer stem for #104 Tang?

Post by fifty-seventy »

Wow, I forgot my password - whew! Much thanks to Lucinda for sending lost screw for my #104 tang. I love this sight - simple and neat and tight! Kirk, I need a longer stem for it. Sure could use one, anyway. Any chance of you making one? Need 5 inches!
Thanks, 50
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Sorry, for being late. I don't make a longer staff. The #104 is not the best sight around, most people get it because of the cost, they shoot it a while to find out if this is what they want to do, then they take a look around at all of the sight makers and pick a sight that is workable with long range shooting. I would recommend MVA. Thanks Kirk
fifty-seventy

Post by fifty-seventy »

Thanks, Kirk, for the response. For sure price is one thing, but also the simplicity and authenticity - don't think the early guns had mva's. Boy, you sure have lots of irons in the fire - maybe someone out there can make or machine me a longer staff? I need to be able to hit at the Quigley with a 50-70 using 65 of goex. Maybe I'm dreaming? Thanks ya'all.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Ron Heilman can probably make you one. r.a.heilman@worldnet.att.net
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Alvin Kinsey,Sr.

Post by Alvin Kinsey,Sr. »

[quote="Kirk"]Sorry, for being late. I don't make a longer staff. The #104 is not the best sight around, most people get it because of the cost, they shoot it a while to find out if this is what they want to do, then they take a look around at all of the sight makers and pick a sight that is workable with long range shooting. I would recommend MVA. Thanks Kirk[/quote]

Kirk,
What is the design range for the #104??
Thanks,
Alvin
Shiloh 1(LRE)
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning, The 104 is the same as the fancier mid-range, on a 45-70, it is quite easy to get to 800 yards. Wolfgang, the founder of Shiloh came out with the 104 when their were no sight makers, he was so busy getting the sharps made, that their was no time for making a better sight. It was patterned some what off of an original design though. Do to the fact their are so many people making good sights now, we are going to drop it from our line. It is a good close range hunting sight, but most people find it fun to shoot long range and usually take it off to mount a fine adjustment tang sight, which I try to reccomend in the first place. Hope this helps, Thanks Kirk
fifty-seventy

Post by fifty-seventy »

Thanks, Ya'all;
For info and leads, etc. I found what I think is a the same longer shaft at Axtel-Riflesmith but just the darn shaft is nearly $200! for a long one - just the shaft!. I sort of doubt that the mount or base would fit exactly. I'm not the type to order and try something and then send it back. I can understand what Kirk says about now lots of sight manufacturers, etc. What I like about the one Kirk makes(made) is that it is hand made milled and very tight and smooth, plus looks authentic. My problem is that it is for a 50-70 and on a (sigh) rolling block so most of the shaft is used just getting up to the barrel height. I either got to change the shaft, the gun, or both! I think it is an ideal sight for hunting where you would set it for 200 or 300 yds and just flip it up for game at that distance, using the barrel sights for 100yds and under. When hunting you don't have time to be messing with vernier adjustments anyway. It doesn't have dials and screw things to get clogged like the Soule and adjustable vernier tangs. There's a picture on the Shiloh catalogue under sights. Again, thanks; 50
Scarlet Knight

Post by Scarlet Knight »

If you're looking for a good tang sight for hunting purposes, you might want to have a look at the Lyman tang sights. You may need to have a little bit of drilling & tapping done on your tang, but the sight can be had for under $100. They're orignially designed for winchester lever guns, and are meant to be used exactly as you describe--set for a particular distance, then flipped up for the occasional long-range shot .
If all gun owners voted like gun owners, we wouldn't have to worry about keeping our guns.