Smokeless Powder

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

carl thomas zmuda

SMOKELESS POWDER

Post by carl thomas zmuda »

Since purchasing a used replica of a replica, a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps 45/70, eight or so months ago; I have been using XMP5744 to propell my home cast 340 grain round nose, 500 grain round nose, and 514 grain Postell bullets. My current load of 24.0 grains allows me to hit the 15" diameter gong at 300 yards from the bench with some regularity. With my 62 year old eyes, some days I have trouble seeing the target, let alone hitting it!

I do have about 20 lbs of FFG and Cartridge on hand so one day sooon I will be shooting BP. I have made my own BP lube, have a Lyman luber/sizer set aside for just this lube, and will be making my own shooting sticks. I also need to get a drop tube and decide on a powder measure!

Currently I use my Dillon 550B to load my 45/70's and have been using my own cast bullets since the 1870's. Using the 550B and SR4759 I have been loading cast bullets for my 1901 Swede and 1903 Springfield.
I't hard to break ol' habits! I did burn up 35 rounds through my Sharps on cool, blusterly Wednesday afternoon. Keep shooting, that's the name of the game!!