Set triger pull?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Frank

Set triger pull?

Post by Frank »

What is the approx. lbs. of trigger pull on the trigger used to set the main trigger? I do not have a trigger pull scale but my guess my #1 sporter is at least 10 lbs.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Frank, The set trigger is heavy like that so that when you fire it is fast acting. A lot of people go on about lock time and how slow an old sharps is, so I we try to make everything as fast as it can be. A light spring slows the sear from exiting the tumbler. Thanks Kirk
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Kirk, another question on that subject please?? I know you showed me how you set the trigger on your rifles but in the excitement of getting my new #1 I have completely forgotten what you said. This is not a complaint but if you included a one page handout with each rifle that explained the simple things we usually do with these rifles it would really help. You know, like removing the sights, adding sights, removing the block to clean and then putting it back in, setting the triggers, etc. Like I said this is not a criticism at all, just a simple suggestion. I have heard it from several others also.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Frank

Post by Frank »

Ken Hartlein,
Ken, when I received my Shiloh Sporter #1 in Nov. of 2000 it had a "Instruction Manual For The Black Powder Model 1874 Metallic Cartridge Rifles and Model 1863 Percussion Rifles"
There is a section No.4 - Adjusting of Set Triggers on Rifles W/Two Trigers, section No. 5 - Disassembly, section No. 6 - Reassembly and other sections. I am sure Shiloh has this manual still in stock and will send you a copy. Let me now and if you want and I will type out a post with the instructions from the manual.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, check under the foam lining in case that the rifle arrived in. Most of the time this is where the instruction manual and registration card are put for shipping. It keeps everything away from the rifle during transport. Randy.
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Frank, I too wondered about this. As a matter of fact, I stopped by Big Timber with the rifle on the way to the Quigley match this year. I had purchased it a month earlier on the way to Kenny Wasserburgers match. Kirk told me exactly the same thing that he posted here.

On the way home from hunting Buffalo in ND, just at the first of this month, I again stopped at Big Timber for I had seen another nice rifle, again a LRE in .45-110 that I couldn't live w/o, and bought it.

The thing is that the first rifle has a first stage set trigger that is so hard to pull, that I was afraid of breaking it. The second rifle (both are the LREonly in different Cals. ) has a first stage set pull about half of which the first has. I have not yet talked to anyone at Shiloh about this, but it doesn't seem quite right that they should be so dramatically different.

I am not overly concerned about it, and I think that with shooting, cleaning, and regular maintenance the two triggers may even out. I hope so, otherwise I will have to stop there again on my way back to Kenny's this coming Spring and have them adjusted. I would just as soon not have to do this because I might just see another rifle that was meant just for me. :lol:
Randy Ruwe
Frank

Post by Frank »

Omaha
That is the same concern that I have, the set trigger is so hard that I had fear of breaking it. I stated that it was around a 10 Lb pull but on trying it again I am sure it is much more. I have a friend I think has a trigger gauge that I am going to check it with.

Frank Costa
SHILOH 74 #1 SPORTER
SHILOH 63 CARBINE
SHILOH 1
SHILOH SHARPS RIFLE CLUB
TRUE SPORTSMAN CLUB
NRA
SASS
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Frank, I don't have a trigger pull gauge either. Most of the ones I know of or have seen in catalogs only go up to about 12#'s max. I am sure that my rifle exceeds this by quite a bit. Please post what you find out, I would be very interested. Thanks, Randy
Randy Ruwe
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Well I messed up again. Lucinda had my rifle all packed in the case when I got there but I told her I already had one just like it and I brought it in and put my rifle in it. The instructions are probably still in the case Lucinda brought out for me! I wish now I had bought the case, mine fits but not very good. Oh well, live and learn!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter