Dovetail filler kit

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bo Alley

Dovetail filler kit

Post by Bo Alley »

Hi Kirk,
Recently ordered a dovetail filler kit for my new #1 after installing a tang sight and sprit level. Hope I got the wrong kit because, a few things don't match too well...
1. The dovetail filler does not fit well in the dovetail, e.g, has rounded edges and sticks out over the octogon, and neither the set screw or filler fit flush with the barrel..

2. Dovetail filler is glossy and I have a flat black barrel.

3. The front filler set screw is also too long?

When the person who took the order said, 'its a bit pricy but fits your barrel' I thought it would fit better. Obviously some filing and/or a flat bottom tap might help but did not think any re-work would be required?

Tks
Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bo, if I am not mistaken most of the dovetail fillers are made by MVA. I have two, one with a bubble level, and a plain one. Both from different sources, but both made by MVA. They fit well when ordered for the correct dovetail. At least on my rifles.

I believe that the reason for the rounded edges is so that they are 1. More comfortable to carry, and 2. so that sharp edges don't snag or dig into something you would rather not have them snag.

Neither of mine has a set screw, but are a nice tight fit without one. The filler screws were not too long.

I don't know if this will help answer your questions to Kirk. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Hi Bo, if you ordered one from us the filler is just suppose to save your dovetail. It will not fit to the point you can't see it, if this is what you mean. Does the screw stand above the barrel? Does the lock down screw stand above the filler? If so, call me and I will fix it. These things are made to plug from a 16 pound barrel down to a standard barrel. Give me a call, thanks Kirk
Canoe112

Post by Canoe112 »

Omaha Poke,

I note that you state you have a MVA spirit level mounted in your dovetail.

How well does it work?

Is it better, or worse, than using a true spirit level w/sight?

Does it really replace the need for the spirit level w/sight?

thanks,

Hal
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Canoe 112, so far the barrel level has worked just fine out to 200 yds, it worked fine on my buffalo hunt, and this weekend I will be trying it out at the 500 yd line at Machias, WA during the mid-range match.

I am not sure that it will work as good at long range as a front globe w/ spirt level or if it might be more difficult to see. Primarily due to the elevation of the rear apperature.

I will let you know after Sat. They both accomplish the same basic purpose, helping the shooter correct his cant. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Bo Alley

Post by Bo Alley »

FYI for anyone concerned about support,

My 'problem' ended up being only with the filler screw. Kirk not only offered to fix it but after I screwed things up a bit by trying to force the filler in and loosing the slot, Kirk offered to even pay the shipping to return to his factory so no damage would be done to the barrel during removal. That just don't happen in 99.% of sold items anywhere!

Not only am I thankful but also appreciate the new filler screw sent promply. And most important, fixed my own mistake without any problems and feel good about that.....

Bo
A craftsman makes his own schedule!
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Just one more typical example of the marvelous folk at Shiloh Rifle Manufacturing Co.!! No surprises here.
Lee Stone