Correct bullet for the '63

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JMLange

Correct bullet for the '63

Post by JMLange »

Kirk,
I have seen some reference here, and there has been some discussion on the N-SSA board lately, on the correct bullet to use in the Shiloh, and particularly the Farmingdales. Some say the the traditional "christmas tree" will work, and some say it won't, and you have to use a straight design with equal diameter bands. There is a question of the sleeve and chamber dimensions as compared to the originals and the Italian imports.
What's the correct answere?
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

JM Lang
I was recently given a '63 Sharps in .54 cal, mfg by (shudder) I.A.B. and sold by navy Arms. Kirk gave me the measurements for a christmas tree bullet he had made by Paul Jones or Steve Brooks, I don't remember which. I bought a mould from RCBS for the North South Skirmishers instead, after I slugged the barrel. Bottom line, the IAB was vastly different.
Now in as much as the IAB had the bore off center to the left 1/8" in 28" (how many moa is that?) defective rear sight, front trigger that would not fire unlkess set of applied 14# pull, and after 5-7 rounds had to pour water into the action to open it. Even with all of this it was fairly accurate, But, I thanked my wife for the gift and sent the damned thing back.
Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning guys, I found that these production moulds varied to much so I sent a rifle over to Steve Brooks to shoot and make moulds for. The bore- groove is .540"x .532". I am not up on what the rules of the game are, but the bullet my son is using is of tapered desighn and works real well. I don't see why a straight side wouldn't work as long as it was a touch undersize to fit the throat area good. Hope this helps, thanks Kirk