Kirk, .45-110 LRE

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Omaha Poke

Kirk, .45-110 LRE

Post by Omaha Poke »

Hi Kirk, I read with much interest your post on the hunting forum. Congrats on the elk :mrgreen: :D . I shot my new LRE in .45-110 yesterday for the first time ever at the Machias, WA 500 yd match. I don't usually try to sight in and compete with a new rifle on the same day, especially at 500 yds, but I hadn't had a chance to shoot it yet and couldn't resist. So I cast some nice Paul Jones 570 gr Smerker bullets up with 30-1, and loaded some Buffalo arms reformed .348 Win brass with 92 grs of Swiss 1 1/2, and was ready to give it a go.

On the first string we had 30 mins for all sighters and 15 rounds for record. It took me a four shots to get on paper and then shoot for record with the remaining time and was able to post a 118. Not real good but better than anticipated since I had never fired one round through the rifle before. It was then our relays turn in the pits, and I was able to get a good look at the target and the shot placement. When we returned to the line for our next relay I made the necessary sight adjustments and shot a respectable 139 out of 150. On the third string I shot a 141 out of 150. This was with the ball and post front sight that came with the LRE. I think this rifle is going to be a real shooter when I fine tune the load and put on a spirit level front sight with aperature!!!

Like I said I don't usually try to shoot a new rifle and new load for the first time at 500 yds, but what a kick it turned out to be. We had a great shoot by the way due to the hard work of Steve Anderson, the match director, and a great bunch of BP guys.

Thanks for building such a great rifle!! Randy
Randy Ruwe
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Randy,
Congrats on some fine shooting with your 45-110. I think that the caliber is
a real sleeper and it may see more use in Long range matches in the near future with the use of Duplex about to come to a end. I think that the 45-110 will be getting a hard look by more Long range shooters. With Fg Goex and a 540 gr Paul Jones bullet one can get well over 1320 fps and recoil is no worse then many 45-90's that I have shot with duplex loads.

Of course I am biased!!!!!!!!!!

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter