Leading in a .45 x 2 7/8

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ironramrod

Leading in a .45 x 2 7/8

Post by ironramrod »

I am getting really close to ordering a Shiloh in .45 x 2 7/8 caliber as a general purpose BPCR. I intend to shoot a couple of different bullets; something in the 500 to 550 gr. range in postell design for target/long range work and something in the 425 to 450 gr. range in a long flat nose design for hunting.

I would like to get the muzzle velocity of the hunting bullet over 1400 fps if possible; over 1450 would be even better. My question is can those velocities be achieved in this caliber with that bullet weight, and is leading going to be an issue with those velocities?
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning sir, I wanted to achieve the same thing as you. All that I had was a two groove Brooks 450, which worked well in my 45-70 but not so well in the 110. I am using a 500 Jones that K.W. give me to try and it works pretty well. It is going 1376 right now, and am picking a little leading. This is caused from the bullet being just a touch oversize. I'm having a mould made right now that is same weight only .002" smaller than bore on the nose and .458 instead of .459 on the base, I think it is going to work great. I am also having some real deep grease grooves cut in it. The little 450's that I tried were going side ways. Hope this helps, Kirk
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Hi Kirk,

What happens to the leading and accuracy, if one shoots a somewhat harder alloy at the higher velocities (>1400 fps); something along the line of BHN=15 or so? For example, what happens to leading, if one mixes 1 or maybe 2 lbs wheel weight lead with 5 lbs. pure lead? Does anyone have any data on something like that?

The reason I ask is that alloys that are too soft are apparently 1 reason for leading in guns shooting cast bullets with smokeless powder. I doubt if the bullet would care whether it is being pushed down the barrel with black or smokeless, but the increased friction from higher velocities above a critical velocity for the bullet hardness with either powder likely would make a difference.

Your thoughts?

Regards
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Here is some info according to Lyman; BHN of 15 can be had by Lyman #2 alloy which is (A. 9 lbs wheelweights, 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, or (B. 4 lbs linotype, 1 lb 50/50 bar solder, 5 lbs pure lead. Another way according to Lyman to get 15 BHN is to mix 1 to 1 lead and Linotype, also BHN 15 is something called "Taracorp Magnum". One thing I thought was interesting is that wheelweights and 1:30 alloy is the same BHN of 9, again according to Lyman.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Ken H.

Thanks for the Lyman alloy recipes. I had seen them somewhere in the past, but had forgotten completely about them.

Also, I use straight wheel weight lead for some cast muzzleloader bullets and cast bullets for a .45/70. I drop them right out of the hot mould into a bucket of cold water. It takes about 24 hours or so for the hardening cycle to complete, but they end up with a BHN about 25 or so on my hardness tester. Heat treating them in an oven at 450 deg. for an hour and dropping them in water runs the BHN up to about 35. These bullets really put some serious thump on silhouettes and live targets. They will age soften in time, but if I keep them in the deep freeze the hardness lasts almost indefinitely.

Regards