.50-140 Chamber?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bearbait2

.50-140 Chamber?

Post by Bearbait2 »

If Shilo does not offer anything of greater capacity than .50-90, is there a gunsmith anyone can recommend who will rechamber to .50-140. Any advice?
Shoot Straight
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning Sir, I'm sure if you spend the money for a reamer, any gunsmith will run it into the barrel. It won't matter if he is good or not, because when it's all over you will have a nice gun with no accuracy. I have seen it done many times, and have rebarreled them back to the original caliber. Hope this helps. Thanks Kirk
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Kirk,
Thank you for your reply and sharing your knowledge. Would you be so kind as to provide some insight regarding the loss of accuracy? For instance, how much would one expect the groups to grow at 100yds and the reason for this? Greatly appreciate your help.
Shoot Straight
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

Bearbait2

Just to back up what Krik is trying to tell you. The first Sharps that I own was in 50-3 1/4-140 and it was a Shiloh. If I remember correctly, got it fron Jim Pawn Shop in Fayetteville, N.C. in 1976. Worked trying to make it shoot till June 1988. When I left it at Shiloh in Big Timber, MT. to be rebarreled to a 45-70. On my way to Alaska. Best I was every able to get it to shoot was about 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100yards. To do this had to reduce the load to 90 to 100 grains of 1 Fg powder. Yes, I still have that rifle, with 6 other Shilohs and one of them is a 50-2 1/2. It shoots great. If I do my part with the loading and shooting it will hold 1 to 1 1/2 M.O.A.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
rdnck

50-140

Post by rdnck »

Bearbait2--I owned a 50-140 one time, for about 3 days. Two of my friends, brothers, own 50-140 Shilohs, one each. All three were Farmingdale guns. Mine didn't shoot, theirs didn't either. I sold mine, they rebarreled theirs, thinking it was the barrel. They rebarrelled to--you guessed it--50-140. It wasn't the barrel. The guns still don't shoot well enough to hunt deer with. One of them still won't hit a 5 gallon bucket at 100 yards, even after rebarreling. They still have the rifles, but they also each have a Shiloh Number One Sporter in 45-110 that they hunt with. The 45-110s shoot just fine.

If you are gonna shoot things that bite, you need to hit them hard, and I realize that. But you also need to be able to hit them in the right place. I wouldn't bet a nickel, let alone my life, on the accuracy from any 50-140 I have ever seen or shot. Shoot straight, rdnck

Chairman
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

aka-slim & rdnck,
Any ideas as to why they shot so poorly? Did the first shot go where it was aimed with follow ups drifting away? Or did you never know where even the first shot would land?
Did you try any duplex loadings for a cleaner burn?
Two inch groups would be just fine with a full power load but not a reduced one. And yes, it was my plan to use it for things that bite.
Based on yours and Kirk's input, can see why he doesn't chamber the round.
Shoot Straight
aka-slim

Post by aka-slim »

BearBait2

I tried duplexing. Got a cleaner burn, but the grouping didn't improve. If you a worried about things that bite back. Assuming you are wanting to use a single shot. The 50-2 1/2 loaded with a full load of BP and a 650 to 750 grain bullet. Will take anything that you will run into. YOUR JOB WILL BE TO PUT THE BULLET WHERE IT BELONGS. Was a guide in Nome, saw lots of bears taken. Shot placement is as important as what they are hit with. It takes both to do the job correctly.

Keep your powder dry.

Slim
NRA Life
NLMRA Life
SASS Life
AGCA Life
ASSRA
U.S. Army, Special Forces, Retired
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

aka-slim,
Most certainly agree with your view on shot placement. Have always stressed the same to others, myself. Have a couple of cartridge guns that are working well for us. A .45-165-570BN Ruger #1 and a .50-70-440 Marlin have done a fine job on Caribou, Moose, and Grizz. Am just starting load development on a .40-120-360BN Ruger #1.
But have always admired the Shilo Sharps and wish to purchase one that will fit my fancy. (Usually something that not everyone else is normally using.) But hopefully common sense will prevail. And I wish to thank you gentlemen for steering me away from the wrong direction. It is a lot easier and less expensive to learn from the experience of others.
Thank you.
Shoot Straight