Modifying the base of the forearm

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

nohorse

Modifying the base of the forearm

Post by nohorse »

Kirk: What's the skinny on sanding down the area where the base of the forearm meets the receiver? Is this really recommended? A previous post mentioned to remove only enough wood so that a dollar bill will slide between the forearm and receiver. Good rule of thumb? Any insights are appreciated.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning, I always hold the rifle up to the light and look between the fore arm and reciever. If the rifle has a problem in this area, it will go right or left hard while shooting. If you decide to do something, think it through before diving in, I just built a new forearm for a guy that let the sanding get away from him. I double stick tape 80 grit on a heavy, flat block of steel, and very carefully keep the wood square and drag it on the paper, 1 swipe at a time. 80 grit sounds harsh, but it will keep you from rolling the corners like finer grit will always do. Do hold it up to the light before dragging out the sand paper. Thanks Kirk
TYRVR

Forearm Sanding:

Post by TYRVR »

Kirk is the Big "Kahuna" and he is my hero, but at the risk of being cast out of Eden, I will offer an alternative to his method, when fitting a fore end,(or any other wood) I "smoke" the metal with a candle flame, the soot will mark the high spots where wood touches metal, in the fitting of the forearm to the front of the receiver, smoke the metal, install forearm, remove and use a mill bastard file to slowly rasp off the soot marked areas, when the soot no longer marks the wood.....you are finished, clean the metal and use a THIN coat of sealant on the wood, (Tru-Oil on a small artists brush).
Please don't hurl me into darkness Kirk!
Member #3, of the "Brought Enough Gun Club"
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Don't worry, I won't, that was good information. If any one does this, take a few practice swipes on the end of a broom handle first, so you have the feel. See Ya Later. Kirk