45-110 brass

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bob De La Torre

45-110 brass

Post by Bob De La Torre »

Kirk,

I have read the forum with interest. You provide a tremendous amount of information on your rifles, congrats. I am curious if you had any difficulties with 45-110 Bell brass vs. 45-110 Buffalo brass. I have used both successfuly other applications. However, given the price per case, I want to avoid the experimental step of using one brand vs. another if there is already favorable knowledge of one brand vs. the other.

Thanks
Bob
Do it with a PP 90!
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i have tried the HDS,Bell and Norma cases i like the norma stuff the best so far,but i plan on trying the buffalo arms streched stuff soon, Kenny W likes them.
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
wolfie

Post by wolfie »

i have tried the HDS,Bell and Norma cases i like the norma stuff the best so far,but i plan on trying the buffalo arms streched stuff soon, Kenny W likes them.had some thick rims on the HDS and split a few cases also
B.J. Spalding
"I came I saw and I forgot why I am here."
SHILOH#1
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Good morning Bob, Kenny Wasserburger really likes the stretched brass, I have never tryed it. I am using HDS in my rifle, some of the heads are a tad thick but easily worked. The only time I split any was while using magnum primers. I run into some Bell the other day that had neck thickness exceeding .011", not good. What ever brand you get, give it a close inspection and make sure you only work a handfull so that if there is a problem you can return it. Hope this helps. Thanks Kirk
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Bob, I have 300 of the BAC reformed .348 Win brass. Out of this 300 I have 37 that won't fit the chamber of either a Shiloh or C.Sharps .45-110 rifle. About half of the ones that do fit, I had to grind off the bottom of my Lyman sizing die about 2/100's to achieve a full length size that would fit the chamber of either of these rifles. The other cases have a rim that is just too thick and will not chamber without shaving brass by forcing the breech block over them. Not a good thing.

Buffalo Arms is a great company, but whoever does the reforming for them on my brass anyway, was lacking in quality control. That is not going to keep me from ordering more of it however. Most of the other .45-110 brass is just too expensive.

I don't know why Starline doesn't make .45-110 brass, or .45 basic for that matter. They make .45-90, and .45-100, why not .45-110?

I have great results with Starline .40-65 and .45-90 and would really like to see them make th .45-110 available. It shouldn't be too hard for them to make a run of say 25,000, I am sure that there are enough of us to use that many in just a couple of months. Randy
Randy Ruwe