Difference between a #3 and a Montana Rough Rider

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

North Nick

Difference between a #3 and a Montana Rough Rider

Post by North Nick »

I have an obsession now. And that is owning one of these rifles. So I am in the process of choosing what I want.

I have a question on the #3 and the Roughrider. It looks like the Roughrider has more drop in the stock. Am I just seeing things?

This rifle will mainly be for hunting and some cowboy action side match out to 300 yrds or so. Is there any reason I should choose one of these rilfe over the other.

Thanks for the help,

North Nick
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Nick,

I think I have to agree with you. To my old and rather imperfect eyes, the Montana Roughrider does look to have a bit more drop than the Sporter #3 from the web site pictures.

But, for what you stated you want the rifle for, it looks to me like the prime determining factor between those two rifles is whether you want a pistol grip or straight stock.
Lee Stone
North Nick

Post by North Nick »

Thanks for the reply Lee.

My previous post should have read #1 Sporter, not a #3. The #1 has a pistol grip.

Comparing the Roughrider to the #3 it looks like the rough rider has more drop.

North Nick
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Well, the Roughrider definitely has more drop than the Sporter #1. So there it becomes a case of how much drop you like to shoot with.
Lee Stone
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Oh and Nick, you cannot obsess over owning only one of these rifles. The odds are very high that even before your first order is completed and delivered into your hands, you will covet another one. Happened to me. Near the end of January past I ordered and paid for a .45/90 Hartford. By the middle of July I was overcome again and placed an order for and paid for a .50/90 Sporter #1. And, I currently have three more spec'ed out in my wish list file just waiting for next July to come when I make the very last mortgage payment on my house.

So, as you can see, these rifles are extremely addictive. I would think that very few people can stop with one. :wink:
Lee Stone
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Hummmmm I wonder Lee if perhaps you are on to something .Perhaps Kirk adds something to the recipe other than quality and class, something in the stock finish perhaps ,cause you cannot ever have enough
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

I'll tell you what, I've arrested perps who were not as addicted to their drugs as I am to these rifles. :roll:
Lee Stone
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

aint that the truth
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

I may be a little late, seeing as how this thread is a week old, but I think the difference you are seeing is the difference between a shotgun butt on one rifle and a military buttstock on the other.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

FWIW: it looks like the Rough Rider has more drop than the #1.

I placed a business card along the top of the barrel on each web site’s posted picture, & then placed a mark on the card @ the heel of the butt. Using this “precision” method, the Rough Rider appears to have more drop than the #1.

To be sure, I would call Shiloh & get the specs & then locate a gun shop/stockmaker w/ a try stock to see which will be more comfortable. Depending on your arm’s length, you may also want to inquire about the length of the pull.

Rules of Thumb: a pistol grip stock will pull & secure the rifle into the shoulder for target or LR work.

A cheek piece provides your face w/ some support when utilizing a vernier tang sight for LR shooting. It will also aid in consistent placement on the stock.

Depending upon the caliber selected, a shotgun butt plate is much more comfortable to shoot than a military style. Been there; done that.

For some Shooters,a rifle w/ less drop is much easier to shoot (read less fatigue) than one w/ a more pronounced drop.
pete

Post by pete »

Nick; I believe I heard awhile back that the Roughrider is the only Shiloh configuration that's not authentic to the original Sharps rifle if that's something that might concern you. If it's not a concern then disregard my comment.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Pete, you're right, that is what Kirk told me in a post. The Montanna Roughrider was made originally as a give away for some event, and it is not a period correct Shiloh. If that if what I wanted, I sure wouldln't let that stop me, I'm not periond corect either!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
TJW

Post by TJW »

Guys, I have a Roughrider on order. Spent a lot of time at Shiloh comparing all the models. You are right about the picture of the Roughrider, it has a military stock. Which both military and shotgun stocks are offered in the Roughrider - the No. 1 only comes with a shotgun stock. However, the only real difference between the two (with the shotgun stock) is the cheekpiece. The Roughrider doesn't have one while the No. 1 does. Otherwise they are the same. Have fun shopping - picking out a Shiloh is the hard part. Can't wait till next spring!

Too bad one can't get a discount if more than one is ordered in any 12 month period. TJW
AAA

TJW

Post by AAA »

TJW: Check you Personal Messages.

Thanks,

AAA