and what's up with paper patched bullets?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Oldmac

and what's up with paper patched bullets?

Post by Oldmac »

I know this was the way 'things were done' back in the hide hunting days...But, other than authenticity, is there any reason to mess with them today? Venturino, in 'Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West' indicates that there is not. Interesting, yes, fun to play with, yes, but more accurate than grease grooves? nope. Are there any real advantages to paper patched? If you are not M. Quigley loading up a bunch of .45-110s to deal with Marston and his thugs is there any real reason to use paper patch?
I love modern technology, I just don't want to touch it!
jackrabbit

Re: and what's up with paper patched bullets?

Post by jackrabbit »

Nope. There is no reason to use black powder or even a Sharps rifle for that matter either. A 165 grain 30-06 will work much better. Although I have not yet tried it, paper patch is just one more thing to experiment with. I think a majority of the buffalo hunting and the old shooting matches were done with paper patch. I also wouldn't say it is less accurate than greasers, it just takes more understanding to make them shoot well. The old guys apparently thought they were better than grease grooves. I think there is something out there that we are still missing. The satisfaction of figuring that out would be tremendous. Also, there has been a lot of work done on paper patching since MLV's book was published. The National AAA silhouette champion used paper patch this year.
Just my thoughts, Cody
Roundsworth

Post by Roundsworth »

I have about 13 months to wait for my #3 Sporter in 38-55. I think, for me, a lot of enjoyment will be in trying out different bullets. I bought a slightly modified Perfection mold and am looking forward to trying my hand at casting. I am retired and have a lot of time on my hands. Tweaking my handloads keeps me busy. The satisfaction of producing a good load is half the fun of owning the gun. I will, eventually, obtain the supplies and give PPL shooting a whirl. Why not?
GMC(SW) - USN, Retired 1978 - 2001

USS San Diego
USS Missouri
USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Different 'strokes' for different folks........
I'am stay'n with GG because the Ol'Arther in my right hand, makes it all but impossible for me to roll paper onto 'slicks'.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

Gary that is kinda my thinking too...I really don't need an additional 'complication'...I mean while correctly done paper patching apparently does not hurt anything,incorrectly done paper patching would wreck your accuracy, would it not?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I'm the biggest danger to my accuracy..... :lol: :lol:
Any part of the loading process can/will hurt accuracy if done wrong. :wink:
I really wanted to get into PP'n. Don was kind enough to even seen me a good supply to try(bait'n the 'hook' :lol: ).
Gott'em shooting pretty good w/3F Goex also.
It's rolling them that hurts my hand, damnit. :x
Give it a try.......
Gary
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Paper patching is very enjoyable and if you spend time with it you'll find very good accuracy. As mentioned, there is no more reason to do it than there is to shooting greasers in a black powder rifle. :mrgreen: It's just different, and a historically accurate way to use your rifle.

Chris.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Oldmac wrote: If you are not M. Quigley loading up a bunch of .45-110s to deal with Marston and his thugs is there any real reason to use paper patch?
Without a doubt the dumbest statement I've ever read on the Shiloh forum. Oldmac you need to learn how to use the search function and do a little prerequiste reading before posting period. bobw ( that is as polite as I can say it.)
bobw
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

Bob, I've haven't been here a week yet and I'm trying to learn...
bobw

Post by bobw »

Learn, the search function as well as you can there is a tremendous resource availible to you. Check out DR Cook's post on search function over on Shooter to Shooter where most of your posts should go. Support is for technical problems usually answered by Kirk or Lucinda and/ or others who can help with a question to resolve tech difficulties.OK your new, I gathered that, but your comment on the validity of paper patching was trollish and offensive to me. good luck on your searches as well as quest for knowledge it is here.bobw
bobw
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

Perhaps I phrased it wrong. But to me, it seems legit question. We (or at least I) know grease groove bullets work, and work well. So I wanted to know why any one would bother with paper patching other than authenticity...Does paper patching offer any advantages over grease groove?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Oldmac wrote:Perhaps I phrased it wrong. But to me, it seems legit question. work, and work wellWe (or at least I) know grease groove bullets . So I wanted to know why any one would bother with paper patching other than authenticity...Does paper patching offer any advantages over grease groove?
PP is the true history of these rifles. :wink:
YMMV,
Gary
Oldmac

Post by Oldmac »

Gary..yes I know that...but again, does paper patching offer any other advantages?
green_c

Post by green_c »

Ballistic coefficient... Smooth bullets shoot flatter and have less wind drift.

You can put more powder in the case than you might with a fully seated grease groove bullet.

You can shoot dead soft bullets for expansion in game w/o worrying about leading. (Long noses don't work well in this application as they tend to slump under the acceleration of firing the gun.)
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Oldmac wrote:Gary..yes I know that...but again, does paper patching offer any other advantages?
The biggest "advantage" other than history, is the "Kool" factor/advantage. After all, isn't that the WHY we shoot these types of firearms to begin with. :wink:
Along with the pride one has in shoot'n the PP they cast and rolled themownself's.
I have several modern rifles that will outshoot well pass 1K yds, anything a Sharps can do, every day of the week. For me, the Shiloh Sharps '74 is the most fun(and work).
Until you try it-You will never understand :wink:
You push "advantage". If you really want an accuracy advantage. Don't buy/shoot/load for a black powder rifles.
Gary