Reloading Pressures

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Rix

Re: Reloading Pressures

Post by Michael Rix »

Whoo-hoo! Now that's funny Cody. I can see that. :lol:
"Vegetarian" Old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
XTR

Post by XTR »

jackrabbit wrote:.... Holy Crap! I thought I had just been hit my a meteorite! ....
Take care, Cody
I haven't laughed that hard in a while. In fact I'm still laughing.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Similar experience as Jackrabbit except I thought it was my imagination and thus fired one more round! Yep, the guy that gave me the few 300 gr Hornady loads said they were mild. Mild to Godzilla maybe! I quickly checked the wrist of my CB knowing it just had to split at the tang. I did chrony the second round and it lit the lights at 2250 fps!!! I cuss that sob every time I see him.
Sam
RonJ

Post by RonJ »

battleship gunner wrote:I use a PJ mould 535 gr. bullet with 42 grs. of 4198 for my best accuracy, the velocity is 1,745 fps which is quite fast and the pressure is probably what the loading data says. It's quite accurate and the recoil is stiff. I have tried 3031, 4895, accurate 5744, and a couple others but 4198 works the best for me. At 100 yds. I can get 1 1/2" groups because I'm not as good as the rifle.

Not saying that I did, but if I did load smokeless I would use SR 4759; it gets a little more velocity and uses less powder so it goes farther per can.
johnl

Post by johnl »

My little 26" half and half #1 Sporter liked a mild load which was a 405r gas check with 40 grains of IMR 3031. If you really want to rattle your molars, try 55 grains of Varget with the 405 bullet :lol:
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

One of my early 45/70's was a Ruger #3 which weighed about 6 lbs. A friend gave me several 500 grain solid bullets intended for dangerous game. I loaded one of them with a maximum load of 3031. I went to the edge of a woods behind my house and shot it into an 8" diameter hickory tree. I had to take about two steps backward when I fired it and was lucky to hold onto the gun. The bullet went clear thru the tree and I could hear it bouncing off others farther into the woods. That was my only experience with a max load in a 45/70. I've got a few 45/70's now from trapdoors, lever actions, a Ruger #1, a Shiloh and a Maynard. I load them all sensibly and enjoy them, some with black powder and some with smokeless.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
1minute

Post by 1minute »

I'd agree there. Not done it with the Sharps, but I thought my Marlin guide gun might just be the cat's a$$ running 405's out at around 1,750. Loaded up 100 rds and did some test shooting. Nice clover leafs at 100 yds, but wish I could find someone to run through the last 85 rds left in the box. I've decided that when one is tossing bricks out there at game, there is no real need to hotrod them.
1Minute
loophole

Post by loophole »

I started my 45/70 adventures in about 1978 when I bought a Ruger #3 after reading a Ken Waters article
about handloading for the cartridge. Like the #1, the carbine action was considered strong enough for a .458 magnum, so I had visions of tank buster power in a 6-1/2 lb rifle. I started out with trapdoor level loads, but soon the allure of velocity and power got me up to the Ruger #1 loads. I don't remember the charge--some large amount of 3031 and a 300 gr bullet. I put up a target at 50 yds and touched one off standing. The barrel rose about 90 degrees and I was forced back a step or two. Shoulder felt like it did in high school after loyd fisher,
our all state linebacker, gave me a "friendly" punch one day.
I had put up a large backer behind the target so I could determine the point of impact, but there was no bullet hole on the paper. I reluctantly tried two more shots with the same result and found I had no further enthusiasm
for the project. I found out later that the load was so hot that the bullet was hitting considerable lower
than it had with more sensible loads.
After a lot of tinkering with about 8 different 45/70 rifles, I always got best smokeless accuracy with lead bullets and loads no hotter than those recommended for the 1886.
Steve K
If at first you don't secede, try, try again.
Orville

Post by Orville »

I see you mentioned pp bullets, a word of coution do not load bore size paper patched bullets with smokeless powder,the primer can move the bullet up the barrel before the main charge goes off, this could cause what some call detonation.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.