Timing of a Quigley?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

losttrail

Timing of a Quigley?

Post by losttrail »

I have a C. Sharps 1875 in .40-65 that my oldest brother gave me a couple of years ago.

But I want a Quigley. I'm thinking of risking my marriage and putting one on order. I would want it true to the movie model; .45-110 paper patch ( another thing to learn). I'm sure many will suggest .45-70 and I may be open to that, still need to think on it.

How long is the wait now? Wondering how much I would need to save per month in order to pay it off when it's ready.

Thanks.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
Army Veteran, Tank Commander
Don McDowell

Re: Timing of a Quigley?

Post by Don McDowell »

Timing probably be close to 2 years.
How much to save would be pretty simple, take the 250 deposit from the total cost, then figure the difference divided by 12 months, then you'ld be sure and have the balance for the rifle set aside when you get the pay up or die letter.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

I keep sending payments until I had paid everything but shipping. Only trouble I had was I would add to the order every time I got close to paying for the rifle. May be too fancy to shoot now. Still wlsh I could have engraving on it. I just want too much. It would be about a 50% increase in the price of the rifle for the engraving I like. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steve

P.S. I ordered the second week in July 2013 and was told it would be about 14 months before they would start production. Then 3 or 4 months to finish the rifle.

Can hardly wait. :D :D :D
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
Tombstone71

Post by Tombstone71 »

Ordered mine last aug. and have added $1600 worth of add on's and am looking at the engraving book again, :? :? I think I am going to need therapy. Or should I order another rifle :?: :?: :?: :lol: :lol:
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Don McDowell wrote:Timing probably be close to 2 years.
How much to save would be pretty simple, take the 250 deposit from the total cost, then figure the difference divided by 12 months, then you'ld be sure and have the balance for the rifle set aside when you get the pay up or die letter.
Right, I got the formula down, pretty simple even having grown up in MT. :wink:

But the divisor then becomes the question: 12 months, 18 months, 24 months? That could be a 100% difference in monthly saving/payment.
“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It our job to see that it stays there.” - George Orwell
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

divide by 12 ,save for 24 and buy powder with whats left.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Maybe best to wait until you have the catalog price saved up then place the order. :?:
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

I sent an email to Lucinda and received a response. She says the current backorder is 16-17 months.

Got to start on this.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member
dances with coyotes

Post by dances with coyotes »

Sent my deposit in Nov 2012...Been sending them money ever since. Getting closer
Call Turner

Post by Call Turner »

I got mine a few years back. I was told 24 months before it would be started, then 3-4 months for the build. I actually got in 21 months total. Just depends how busy they are.
Flintlock Hokie

Post by Flintlock Hokie »

I ordered my Quigley in January and was told the wait was 15 months. I, too, wanted it to be true to the movie, but several posters, including MLV, convinced me that 45-70 was a much better choice than the 45-110, so I switched to 45-70. Since I will probably only have one Sharps in my lifetime, I agree 45-70 is probably the best choice.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

You still have time to go back and follow your gut , and have that rifle chambered in 2 7/8's. When you get the pay up or die letter you can make the chamber switch then.
Yeh the 45-70 is easier to get stuff for, but the 2 7/8 was your first instinct... don't settle and don't let em convince you..
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

In your case, since you already have a .40-65 then the .45-70 isn't going to be all that different than what you have. If I was to only have one Sharps it'd be a .45-70, but I'd want a .45-110 too :-). The first black powder rifles I ordered were a highwall in .45-70, and an 1874 in .45-110.

Since then I've added a number of other rifles in various chamberings. They are like m&m's. Yo can't just have one :mrgreen:

Chris.
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

I have a 45/120,a 45/90 Shiloh, and a 45/70 CPA Stevens 44 1/2. I have a 40/65 Shiloh on order. I may change my mind before they start production of my rifle. I don't think I will. I have a Italian made 54 cal. paper cutter 1863 carbine. I also have a very rough Remington Rolling Block to build. I am leaning toward a 50 cal. carbine in it. Long story short. Get what you want and not what everybody tells you to get. You will be happier if you do. I don't need any of these guns. I just want them. No other reason than I think they are kool. 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
losttrail

Post by losttrail »

Steve crawford wrote:I have a 45/120,a 45/90 Shiloh, and a 45/70 CPA Stevens 44 1/2. I have a 40/65 Shiloh on order. I may change my mind before they start production of my rifle. I don't think I will. I have a Italian made 54 cal. paper cutter 1863 carbine. I also have a very rough Remington Rolling Block to build. I am leaning toward a 50 cal. carbine in it. Long story short. Get what you want and not what everybody tells you to get. You will be happier if you do. I don't need any of these guns. I just want them. No other reason than I think they are kool. 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
Agreed, I think the 1874 is one of the most beautiful firearms ever created. It just speaks of subtle power and elegance. Thanks for all the input from everyone.
NRA Life Member
SASS Member
RMEF member