bore lube question

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

catmeer

bore lube question

Post by catmeer »

To date I have been using "Reel Grease" to store weapons when not in use.

I was using "White Lithium" grease the other day and became curious on how it would rate as a gun lubricant for storage (bore, receiver, small parts, etc).

Instead of experimenting I was hoping someone out there could tell me the things to avoid using.
Lumpy Grits

Re: bore lube question

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I wouldn't use it when you have products out there like Eezox.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

You really want a bore lube that will displace water, as well as containing an oil. Not sure where you're located, but I've used Eezox for 30 years, most of them in humid south Louisiana, without so much as a trace of fingerprint rust. Nuff said.

Clarence
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Store a rifle.........? :shock:

It you take the bore temperature up to 2552 degrees F twice a week you wont have to worry about moisture. :wink:

We sort of have the opposite problem with wooden stocks drying out and shrinking.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Eezox.
Gary
Once I tried Eezox I made a resolution to never go back to the many conditioners I've used in the past, like Ballistol, etc. It's outstanding stuff. It lubricates the moving parts and protects the bore like nothing else. Not that there's not anything else on the market equally as good, but I'm done searching.

Thanks, Gary, for telling me about this product!

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

OC, it was 'John Boy' that sold me on it. :wink:
It's ALL that I use now--
I buy it by the qt. :lol:
Gary
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Gary,

I get mine through Amazon. It's in an 8 oz. aerosol can. I haven't noticed it being sold by the quart but I'll look again. :)

Robert
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

You might be able to order a qt. from here.
http://www.eezox.com/
Gary
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thank you sir,

Robert
Straightneck

Post by Straightneck »

order Eezox by the gallon :) better savings
Mason
Three "G's" made AMERICA GREAT
GOD-Girls-Guns
Bogue

Post by Bogue »

I am located in the mid-south and am a big boy, so I sweat. As with many in this thread, I have used Eezox. I generally buy it by the gallon and have used it with great satisfaction for years.
I also shoot ATA Trap and have a nice shotgun...... Shooting a blued gun in the heat-humidity-sweat of the mid-south, Eezox has proven reliable.
At the Grand American last year I was introduced to the product QMaxx Black Diamond and QMaxx Blue. I had to (or did) shoot in the rain after my gun was treated with the product and I have never seen rain water bead up and run off so fast. Thus far I have been very, very impressed with the product as a cleaner, lube and rust prevented on my trap gun. I have found that if you clean your barrel bores down to bare metal, clean out the other products with Carb or Brake cleaner, et cetera, and coat the inside the bores with QMaxx, after shooting there will be very, very little "stuff" inside the barrels. I will be trying it on my BPCR and will report back as I do ... but it has to be good. Check it out:
http://www.matrixxproducts.com/
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"… Albert Einstein
"Endeavor to persevere.".............
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Bogue, I shoot BP cartridge shotguns. The fouling is terrible.
The bores get coated with hard fouling, probably because of
the heat from so many consecutive shots. I've tried adding
grease to my loads and spraying 20-1 water soluble oil between shots
to no avail. Got any ideas on fouling control for my shotguns?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Bogue wrote:I am located in the mid-south and am a big boy, so I sweat. As with many in this thread, I have used Eezox. I generally buy it by the gallon and have used it with great satisfaction for years.
I also shoot ATA Trap and have a nice shotgun...... Shooting a blued gun in the heat-humidity-sweat of the mid-south, Eezox has proven reliable.
At the Grand American last year I was introduced to the product QMaxx Black Diamond and QMaxx Blue. I had to (or did) shoot in the rain after my gun was treated with the product and I have never seen rain water bead up and run off so fast. Thus far I have been very, very impressed with the product as a cleaner, lube and rust prevented on my trap gun. I have found that if you clean your barrel bores down to bare metal, clean out the other products with Carb or Brake cleaner, et cetera, and coat the inside the bores with QMaxx, after shooting there will be very, very little "stuff" inside the barrels. I will be trying it on my BPCR and will report back as I do ... but it has to be good. Check it out:
http://www.matrixxproducts.com/

"QMAXX products are petroleum based"
The fact it's petroleum based, and there is no MSDS data.
I will pass-
Gary
Bogue

Post by Bogue »

powderburnt wrote:Bogue, I shoot BP cartridge shotguns. The fouling is terrible.
The bores get coated with hard fouling, probably because of
the heat from so many consecutive shots. I've tried adding
grease to my loads and spraying 20-1 water soluble oil between shots
to no avail. Got any ideas on fouling control for my shotguns?
Lumpy Grits is correct the label I have been able to locate does mention petroleum products. I have not tried it on my BPCR yet.... All the experience I have had has been with my trap gun and that has been positive experience.
I have used Ezzox for years and will, it is a great product.
The only advice I can offer is to get a can (expensive) and clean your bores to bare metal, coat it with QMaxx black diamond and let it sit..... Use it for a while and see it if helps....
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"… Albert Einstein
"Endeavor to persevere.".............