Just bought a used 45 2.4 My first Sharps!

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

msgtarmor

Just bought a used 45 2.4 My first Sharps!

Post by msgtarmor »

It's a Shiloh #3, 34" octagon barrel, tang sight, standard grade wood. Cant wait to shoot it, well as soon as I can get some ammo that is! It wasn't taken care of very well as there are a couple of scratches in the stock and forearm like it was in an over crowded safe. It also has some surface rusting on the barrel just in front of the forearm. I got some instructions from Shiloh on disassembly because the triggers weren't working properly. I found the triggers were completely rusty. It took some time but I was finally able to get them to move freely again.
So, long way around to the question! Exactly how does the triggers work? I get the set trigger thing but I don't think this one is working right. I followed directions I found on the forum to set the adjustment screw. Now, I pull the hammer back to safety notch, then pull the set trigger, it clicks. Then pull the hammer back all the way (no half cock on these?) put my thumb in front of the hammer so it wont fall all the way, then pull the front trigger. It clicks just as soon as I start to pull it but then I still have to pull it further to make the hammer fall. It doesn't seem any different than when I don't use the set trigger at all.. Also the trigger pull is pretty heavy. I have no gage but it feels like well over 5lbs! I'm hoping to avoid sending it back till after I've shot it a few times to see if there any other issues I need to have addressed. Oh, the guy I bought it from said I could shoot 45-70 in it. I almost didn't buy it when he told me that but the bore looks good so I did anyway.
MikeT

Re: Just bought a used 45 2.4 My first Sharps!

Post by MikeT »

If the triggers were rusty, then my guess is that the lock is rusty also. Take every thing apart and clean all of the rust off of everything.
Oil up the lock and re-assemble. Make sure the lock operates smoothly before you put it back in the stock. That should get you going.

Keep on hav'n fun!
mikeT
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Or, give me a call, might be able to talk you through it,,

Kirk,
msgtarmor

Post by msgtarmor »

Thanks for the offer, Kirk!! I'll give ya a call as soon as I get it stripped down again!
jim
msgtarmor

Post by msgtarmor »

Just an update if anybody's wonderin, after several attempts to repair and a few phone calls, I finally sent the affected parts back to Shiloh. I'll update later.
jim
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'm sure you'll be happy with the results. The people at Shiloh are top rate.

Chris.
msgtarmor

Post by msgtarmor »

After getting my parts back within 10 days of shipping them, I must say I am impressed! Not only did they repair my problem but they didn't charge me anything and footed the return shipping as well! I had not expected that since I am the second owner of this rifle. My hat's off to you Kirk and your crew!! My last experience with customer service and repair with another American made gun company (based in Arizona), wasn't anywhere near as favorable.
Good to know there are still some folks who stand proudly behind their product!
jim
ToddC

Post by ToddC »

Next thing is order some brass. Shiloh should have some as star just ran a batch. Then load and enjoy one of the finest shooters around. Always grease up the rifle after use and pull it out of the safe weekly and finger it and ensure no rust.
msgtarmor

Post by msgtarmor »

A friend of mine just gave me half a dozen black powder loaded cartridges. Gonna try them out before I get too crazy with buyin stuff. Not sure my shoulder can handle the recoil. Dr told me to get a shoulder replacement about 4 years ago. Still haven't done it, so if the recoil is too much I may be lookin to sell or trade for a 40-65 or similar.
jim
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you do not enjoy the recoil, buy one of the Buffalo Arms "wearable" recoil pads. They work much better than most of the ones you'll see elsewhere.

Chris.
msgtarmor

Post by msgtarmor »

Thanks, Chris. I never had a problem with recoil before, so not sure how this will turn out. I'll check on the pad just in case I need it anyway!!
jim
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

the shooters friend slipon pad at baco is great art