Sight for hunting and target practice

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

J.B.

Re: Sight for hunting and target practice

Post by J.B. »

So it would appear you have a 50 x 2.5" Shiloh with a 1 in 22" twist. This would be the standard/ default twist rate for a current 50 calibre Shiloh unless you had specified the slower 1/36" twist which Shiloh have as an option. This twist rate topic raises it's head from time to time and there would be heaps of information in various headings on the forum. The 1/22" seems to come into its own for shooting 600 + grain bullets at extended distances . As Kurt indicated... you may have some issues with that twist and bullets much over 500 grns.. beyond a couple of hundred yards and he's done a lot more shooting than me. My 'limited' experience to date ..has been to keep the charge down a little ( around 90 grns fg )...and the 470-550 grain bullets work pretty well but it drops off as the charge increases . If you plan on some long range..with some seriously heavy bullets...ie. 650-700 +grns...they you have the twist rate now. Load and practice is the only way to know for sure what is going to work for you and your rifle. Steer away from the hooded front sights for field work though....a good blade or one of the penny front sights seems to be a good option.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

so it is a 1 /22 twist. So I guess I would be better off shooting heavier bullets than a 515 grain.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Pappy ..I'm not really the best person to answer this but basically 'yes' ... that particular twist is well suited to heavier ( read 'longer' ) projectiles. I gather there more people buying 50 x 2.5 for long range target work than for hunting and hence the faster twist rate was introduced to stabilise the long, 1.4 - 1.5" bullets. I find I am able to shoot the more traditional weight ( 450/473 grain) bullets but only do well if I drop the charge rate down a little. I've side tracked this thread it looks like :roll: With a 650 grn gg bullet and 105 grains of Swiss 1.5.. my average m/v is 1298 fps. It is a great long range performer ...but it is totally reliant on my being vigilante ( more so than normal) at my end .
The other clue to your twist rate may be the direction of twist. My 1/22 runs a left hand twist... while my 50 x 1.75 ..is a 1/36" and I believe runs a right hand twist. After touching off a few rounds in the 50/90... I think I understand why. :lol:
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

J.B. wrote: With a 650 grn gg bullet and 105 grains of Swiss 1.5.. my average m/v is 1298 fps
Wow! That has got to be a killer.....at both ends! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pappy

Post by Pappy »

Well I know the rifling is 1/22. I did purchase some swaged bullets. Some heavier ones at 615 grains or so I am not sure but they are on my reloading bench. I guess I still need to work on a load. I never thought black powder would be so finicky. I have reloaded smokeless powder for over 30 years. I know the modern rifle are more forgiving when working up a load. I guess I just need to be more patient. I am sure he buckhorn sights are fine. I just thought going to a tang sight my give me some advantage at longer range shots out to 200 yards or more.