action falls open

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jay Yuskaitis

Re: action falls open

Post by Jay Yuskaitis »

Got it fixed? Hope nobody is charging over the hill.
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

Jay Yuskaitis wrote:Got it fixed? Hope nobody is charging over the hill.
You must have missed this ...
stevewhr wrote:Thanks to jackrabbit, the Shiloh is back up and running! New parts are on the way, life is good! Steve

CM
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
Constable Bill Manning

Post by Constable Bill Manning »

Saw an issue that was caused by a broken lever spring in that, as it was failing, it wasn't holding the falling block at quite the same elevation which caused the firing pin to strike the primer anywhere from the center to right on the edge, which caused the grouping of the rifle to open up considerably.

There is a procedure that you need to follow when installing a new lever spring so that the falling block is centered on the primer. It involves moving the spring forward or backward ever so slightly in the mounting so that the block just lines up with the loading trough when fully closed which should put the firing pin directly in the middle of the case. Or something like that anyway. L.J. did mine at Shiloh and made it look easy. Had to slightly grind a little off the end of the new spring on a belt sander to allow it to slide ahead enough to line up the block and the loading trough.
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

I didn't think the lever spring had anything to do with where the block sits in the action.......

Terry
Constable Bill Manning

Post by Constable Bill Manning »

shovel80 wrote:I didn't think the lever spring had anything to do with where the block sits in the action.......

Terry
I didn't state it very well (or correctly)... As the spring was failing, the lever was slowly dropping until it was flopping, at which point the failure was obvious. We were curious as to if this was causing the erratic accuracy when the gun had been shooting well up to that point. What we saw was 4 or 5 shells where the hits were running pretty much center but then they moved towards the edge. We surmised that it was because as the lever was dropping that it changed the position of the block ever so much and that was causing the issue. The firing pin wasn't broken so that is what we chalked it up to.. What we saw and what we concluded... Not very scientific, I know!

The position of the block in the action is set by the adjustment on the spring when it is fully open. It changes the engagement against the lever which changes how low the block drops when fully open. I misstated about it changing the location of the firing pin.. :x My bad! Good catch Terry..
montana charlie

When the lever is in firm contact with the trigger bar (lower tang) the vertical position of the breechblock is determined by the link which connects the block and the lever.
The lever spring either keeps the lever in contact with the trigger bar ... or it doesn't.

An adjustment which CAN be useful is the amount of tension applied to the lever by the spring.
I set mine so there is no tension at all on the lever when it's fully down.
That lets the takedown pin slide in and out with no resistance at all.

CM
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

I like mine set to where when I throw the lever, the hull flies out and I can load another one asap. :D

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

Post by Jim VanMiddlesworth »

Having those extra parts is good advise. What are lever springs and firing pins costing right now?
"Dyin' aint much of a livin', boy"
montana charlie

Jim VanMiddlesworth wrote:Having those extra parts is good advise. What are lever springs and firing pins costing right now?
The best deal on a lever spring is at Dixie Gun Works.

It's not described as being proper for 'reproduction' guns, but the fit in my Pedersoli was perfect.
At $15 each, I bought two ...
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=5379

CM
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Jim VanMiddlesworth wrote:Having those extra parts is good advise. What are lever springs and firing pins costing right now?
Call Shiloh and get OEM parts, from the gun's maker.
Have your serial number ready, so the can be sure you receive the correct spring. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Jim VanMiddlesworth

[quote="Lumpy Grits"][quote="Jim VanMiddlesworth"]Having those extra parts is good advise. What are lever springs and firing pins costing right now?[/quote]

Have your serial number ready, so the can be sure you receive the correct spring. :wink:
Gary[/quote]

Will do, thanks.
Jim VanMiddlesworth

[quote="Lumpy Grits"][quote="Jim VanMiddlesworth"]Having those extra parts is good advise. What are lever springs and firing pins costing right now?[/quote]

Gary[/quote]

Will do, thanks.