rifling seems to bite into bullet

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ToddC

rifling seems to bite into bullet

Post by ToddC »

My rifling seems to bite into the bullet before the cartridge is completly in the chamber. I have tried many different bullet styles. I trimmed all my brass to 2 4/10, seated the bullet correctly. Seems i need them to start a few 1000's deeper down the barrel.
Lumpy Grits

Re: rifling seems to bite into bullet

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Is the 'bite' in the nose section or the front band :?:
What rifle maker :?:
Need more details and a picture would be the best.
What bullet? Who's mould?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
ToddC

Post by ToddC »

I understand that biting into the bullet is perfered so the bullet does not have to jump far to engage
my rifle is a Shiloh LRE in 45-90
The bullet is a Lyman 480 grains mold number 457658
The other Lyman bullet 405 grains mold number xxx
another bullet tried , hornaday 300 grain hp. seated in the crimp groove to the very top.
I like the tighness of the chamber but the cartridge needs to be able to seat in the chamber and close without flaw. Most bullets have rifling marks on them. At times I have to use a rod to knock them out because I can't get the block to close.
I really don't want to seat the bullets any deeper than I have to.
Should I get the riflings opened up a tad?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Get a different bullet- :!:
Look at a Postel or Creedmoor.
What's the nose dia. of your cast bullets? You want no larger than .449"

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Straightneck

Post by Straightneck »

Hello, I don't have the answers for you, but, if you will post your questions on the Blackpowder Shooting section of the forum you will probably get many more replies and I know there qualified shooters that are willing to help get you up and shooting, There are probably shooters willing to send you some different bullets to try. AND
I myself advise bore diameter paper patch bullets, I think they are the best and it is what Sharps were and are meant to shoot. PLUS they look the coolest.
I shoot a 50 2-1/2,, w/ 615gr PP to bore diameter 118gr Swiss 1-1/2F
Mason
Three "G's" made AMERICA GREAT
GOD-Girls-Guns
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

This may be a sweeping statement..and I'm sure someone will let me know if it is... but. ? Its been my experience that 'most' large , commercial manufacturers of bullet moulds ( ie. Lyman & RCBS ) do not design their bullets to be 'set out'. If the nose diameter directly ahead of the first driving band does allow for the bullet to sit within the bore ( bore riding) then the first driving band will certainly be so close to groove diameter or above that you wont be able to seat the projectile out much at all. Chambers vary and some may be able to get away with more than others but ultimately those moulds are made to a 'one size fits all'. Grease grooves covered and top driving band pretty much level with the top of the case.
You say you have a Shiloh and I'd be guessing you've a nice snug chamber, with virtually no freebore. I used to use the Lyman Postell ( current version) in my 45 and it shot well but allowed for no setting out of the projectile. The top band made sure of that. Since embarking on this ever continuing learning curve I've experimented with reduced forward band mould designs ( mainly for target/ gong work ) and been happy with each and every mould so far. Baco, Brooks, Sage, Accurate moulds and a few others would no doubt have a design already that will work for you and if not ( unlikely ) will certainly make one up to your requirements. As Gary indicated, your nose diameter needs to be .449 " and probably .447/.448 may be better still. Then decide how far out you want your bullet to sit and reduce the top band at least and possibly the second also.The 45/90 should be able to push 480-550 grn bullet along fairly nicely without too much extra persuasion. Curious you mentioned the 300 grn Hornady as would have thought this would have well and truly cleared any rifling. The other annoying thing that can happen is when one uses the bullet as a compression plug. A lead bullet initially measured at say .448 ..will squat out to .450 or more with pressure placed on top of it. Hence "she no go in no more ". It does sound like your mould is throwing bullets with a nose diameter right on or just over bore size :? Hope this is of some assistance. :)
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Todd,

Are you using the bullet to compress the powder? If so, as others have said, you might be bumping the nose so it larger than 0.449" in diameter and that will make cartridges difficult of impossible to chamber. If that's not the problem, seat the bullet shorter so it chambers properly. The .45-90 has no throat, so the front driving band should be no more than 2.45-2-46" from the base of the cartridge. In the case of the Hornady, seat it deeper until it chambers properly.

With both bullets, make sure you have the seating die adjusted so that it removes the flare and no more. If you are crimping too much, it will bulge the case behind the crimp and cause hard chambering as well.

Clarence