double set triggers

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SHARPSSHOOTER5090

double set triggers

Post by SHARPSSHOOTER5090 »

I have an original Freund modified Model 74. I has currently a single trigger but it appears that it came with double set triggers because it has a fly on the tumbler. I bought a set of original slant breach double set triggers thinking that they might fit. Well they won't, with out modification (which I don't want to do) so I would like to trade them off for a set of double set triggers that would fit my model 74.
Does anyone know where I might find a set of model 74 triggers?

Sharpsshooter5090
Marathonman

Re: double set triggers

Post by Marathonman »

Why would you re-modify the Freund, leave it alone!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

Nothing would be permanently changed. only use the dst when shooting it, when it's on display, it would be as I obtained it with the single trigger.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

It's been modified by from 40-90 BN to 40-90 Straight and fitted with "see more light" sights. The butt stock appears to been made by them as it has almost a 1" cast off to the right. It also has a what appears to be the original owners brand and name carved into the stock. It has seen a fair amount of frontier use. "FREUND" is stamped over the "OLD RELIABLE" original Sharps logo on the barrel.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

The condition of the gun changes my opinion somewhat. It would be helpful if you posted pictures. Generally it's a mistake to make modifications to original Sharps rifles from a historical and value standpoint. The only time I do that is when the stock has been ruined like your rifle or parts are completely absent. Then I try to find original parts to put back on the gun. I don't think there's anything wrong with that but rarely does it make sense to do so to make a shooter. Shiloh can create a masterpiece for half the cost of even a poor condition Freund marked gun with a rough bore. I rebuilt an original Sharps once that only was a barreled action with a sewer pipe bore by using Shiloh parts. Yes, they drop right in! Shiloh can hook you up with a replacement stock and triggers. Give Kirk a call and see what can be worked out.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

The trigger plate that is on the rifle is from a 1859 or 1863 with the trigger guard/operating lever latch missing. The finish is quite different than the patina on the rest of the rifle. It still has traces of color case hardening. The receiver where it attaches has a nice brown patina and none of the color case hardening left. The rifle was found under the basement stairs of an 80 year old women who's husband died 25 years ago and she had no idea it was there. ( She was well compensated for it) It had a very dry coat of rust all over it and the butt stock was broken at the wrist. Also the all the wood was black from oxidized oil and the forearm has some chips gone along the side of the barrel. The rust was carded off, no abrasives were used what so ever!, down to the patina then oiled. The wood was cleaned with paint thinner and there was actually real wood under all the black and dust. The wrist was glued back together so you can't see the break line at all. The inleting of the butt stock and lockplate appeared to be hand done to give it the cast off. The carved brand and the owners name are are a part of the history of the rifle and should not be changed. (Apparently the cast off was for the original owner who had a fat face?)
From the serial number it was 1 of about 40 shipped to the Davis Cattle Company of Cheyenne, Wy. in 1879. and originally had DSTs and was 40-90 BN. The 40-2 5/8 on the side of the barrel is "X" out and 40-90 ST stamped on the top of the barrel. The inside of the barrel is fair but shootable.

I have 4 other original Sharps rifles, a 50-90 Meecham conversion , and 45-70 factory conversion that has steel tacks decorating the butt stock and forearm, most likely by a Native American. A percussion rifle that has a very heavy 1 1/8" octagonal .54 cal. barrel and cleaning rod farrell's, possibly an early buffalo gun and a 1853 slant breach. Also I have Remington No 1 Rolling block in 44 S (44-77) with a 1 1/8" octagonal barrel, a Trapdoor rifle and a Spencer carbine. I am not a novice to collecting and restoring antique fire arms. I shoot them all and hunt elk with the 50-90 and deer with the 45-70. I know the value of all of them and know enough to restore them only to the configuration that they were used most and no farther. I can see no reason that the DST was changed to a single trigger other than it was broken or lost and replaced with what was available, I suspect by the woman's husband.
At any rate, I have a set of good condition Sharps slant breach DST that I don't need.
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

As good as Shilo rifles are and as good as they shoot, there is a great amount of enjoyment getting an original to shoot as good. Plus, the looks you get at the range when other shooters are using modern Remington 700 tactical rifles or similar and I pull out an 150 year old original Sharps and can shoot a group that is well within hunting standards is priceless.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a Shilo Quigley model in 45-110 but there is a real challenge trying to get an original to shoot as well if nothing is done to permanently alter the configuration of the rifle or change it's collector value.

Sharpsshooter5090
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Have you thought about having Shiloh retrofit a DST?

Clarence
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

Freund put a fly in there to keep from breaking tumblers with a light sear engagement. Leave it be!!!!

Kirk,
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

I am quite sorry I even brought up the idea!
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

I should have explained the let it be part better, I'm sorry. Anyway, it would be next to impossible to fit a new trigger bar in that old wood without disturbing the wood, and that would be bad,,,
SHARPSSHOOTER5090

The stock mortice for the trigger plate is already cutout for double set triggers. There would be no wood touched, original DST should drop right in. I am not dumb enough to permanently modify the any part of the rifle in any way

Sharpsshooter5090