Schaftol gun stock oil for my Shiloh?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Schaftol gun stock oil for my Shiloh?

Post by gunlaker »

I live in Canada and do not have access to the same cleaning and maintenance products that my American friends do.

I use Schaftol gunstock oil on many of my rifles but have not used any on my Shiloh rifles. It's very popular in Europe but I'm not so sure about America. My gunsmith recommends it for any fine oil finished rifles but I thought I'd check here before using it on my Shilohs. Any thoughts on this stuff?

Thanks,

Chris.
CBarnard

Re: Schaftol gun stock oil for my Shiloh?

Post by CBarnard »

Hi Chris, I have just searched the interbox and found their web site, it looks like good stuff. I am not familier with this oil but I would use it on my Shiloh. I use Gun Glow from Shiloh but will use anything that is suitable for gun stocks when it runs out.
Cheers,
Chris 8)
England.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Thanks. I do use it on some of my rifles and like it. I'll give it a try on one of my Shilohs :-)

Chris.
craigos

Post by craigos »

a quick, kinda relevant question - have a small ding in foreend of my stock i want to steam, raise it and sand it down - how should i finish the spot i sand to replicate shiloh finish. I have a fancy stock with aa finish.
craigos

Post by craigos »

a quick, kinda relevant question - have a small ding in foreend of my stock i want to steam, raise it and sand it down - how should i finish the spot i sand to replicate shiloh finish. I have a fancy stock with aa finish.
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

That will be the first ding of many. Leave it alone, you are likely to make it look worse by steaming and sanding. The first ding is always the worst. Mine was but I have a few more now, I live with them OK. It's all part of the story for that rifle.
IF you have to do something, just steam out with the very tip of an iron with a damp cloth underneath and then go over with a dab of tung or linseed oil.
Hope this helps.
Chris B 8)
craigos

Post by craigos »

:) I hear you - and i have for the last year just dealt with it, but wanted to give it to a friend and thought maybe i can "fix it up" a bit as am getting a 1877.
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

I understand now. I might have a go with the steaming but not the sanding as you will leave a slight depression in that area. Sorry I can't help any further.
Good luck,
Chris 8)
ps let us know how you get on with it.
boge

Post by boge »

Just remember: NO petroleum products on wood as it soaks in and breaks down the cellulose fibers making it essentially driftwood. :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
1minute

Post by 1minute »

I'm not the horse's mouth, but when I asked the company about their stock finish several years ago the answer was tung oil.
1Minute