Forend fit

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

CBarnard

Forend fit

Post by CBarnard »

Is it best for the screws that attach the forend to the barrel to be really tight? Also, how important is it that there should be a very slight gap where the forend meets the reciever? Just curious.
Chris 8)
DeadEye

Re: Forend fit

Post by DeadEye »

Chris,

"Tight but not too tight," is the word from Shiloh. I recently received a rifle back from Shiloh and I would call it 'firm'. You definitely do not want any play. As to the gap at the receiver most of us use the dollar bill as a gauge. That is, most of us shooting Silhouette where long strings in hot conditions can expand things and change the point of impact. For hunting I wouldn't concern myself with that. Hope this helps.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

Paul, sorry, I didn't thank you for your reply. I have now loosened the screws a very snall amount and my rifle shoots very well.
Cheers,
Chris 8)
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

On the forearm screws I use a small rubber O ring which keeps it firm but not too tight. On the receiver thingy, over 10 yrs ago I had one of my Shilohs that was shooting particularly well and had one range session on a warm summer's day after a rain and a bit of fog was hanging around. Needless to say the humidity was 100%. The previously super accurate gun started having vertical out the yin yang - 6 inches at only 100 yds.I discovered that the wood on the back of the forearm had some shiny spots where the wood was slamming into the receiver.It was an easy fixed issue with careful sand papering and tung oil. Since then all of my Shiloh's have had this treatment due to the humidity down here.
Keith Lay
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

Thanks Keith, the rubber o ring is a good idea. I will keep an eye on the forend/reciever gap.
Chris 8)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

CB, the O rings are good adaption under the forearm. I also shaved the forearm the width of a dollar bill away from the receiver.
On my "El Cheap O" Buffalo Classic, I also put a nylon pointed screw at the front of the forearm. The concept of a floating barrel and have to admit - the rifle is a shooter!
Regards
John
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I believe Doc places those "O" rings under the screw's head like a washer, and just snugs'em down.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"