tumbler n' fly and main spring ?'s

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

outsidebear

tumbler n' fly and main spring ?'s

Post by outsidebear »

I've a Farmingdale 1874 military rifle that a previous owner broke/blew off, the half cock notch of the tumbler, and lost the fly somewhere.
Had an email from Lucinda to call and order a new tumbler n' fly as replacements. This can do.

Two questions:
1. The Farmingdale 1874 has the half cock notch that holds the hammer in the higher half cock notch position (Bridgeport model?).
Would a lower half cock position tumbler/fly be workable for a replacement (Hartford model half cock notch?)?
Or would changing from the high half cock position to the lower half cock position require special fitting?

2. The Farmingdale mainspring is quite powerful!! Are the current Shiloh 1874 mainsprings of a lesser power? I know this is hard to answer, k'.
I believer the power of the Farmingdale spring is way more than sufficient, but it would be nice to be able to reduce the mainspring power of the Farmingdale rifle and not batter the action so much. I can grind down the existing mainspring, but if a lesser power spring is available from you folks, would prefer to do that.

thank you for your time and assistance...