Durability and longevity of main spring?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Naphtali

Durability and longevity of main spring?

Post by Naphtali »

With its hammer-tumbler at half-cock, how long - that is, how many years?? - will a Shiloh Sharps 1863 or 1874 rifle's main spring maintain its full ability to function fully and correctly?

Does tumbler having a fly, or not, make any difference regarding mainspring at half-cock?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
lrb

Re: Durability and longevity of main spring?

Post by lrb »

In theory, pretty much forever, assuming everything was right with it from the beginning. However, without xraying, and other testing, there is no way to know what may be inside the steel that could cause failure. I would assume the Shiloh spring is cast as most others are today, but even forged springs can fail from inclusions or occlusions in the steel, or unseen micro cracks that only hi-tech testing might find. IMO, it is not a good idea to leave a spring under high stress indefinitely. If you have a '74, you only have a safety position and full cock. The safety position would not be high stress, but I suppose a percussion half cock might be. I have no experience with those. The fly would have nothing to do with it.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Been shooting Shiloh's for many/many years. The only parts I have broken is the firing pin tips and a lever springs.
Good Idea to keep a spare of each on hand.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

That's a question for Kirk to respond to but he is at a wedding today so don't expect an answer.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

A properly done spring will last a long time. I'm shooting an 1868 Springfield with all original springs as well as an 1884 Trapdoor made in 1890, also with all original springs. There are a lot of even older rifles, cap lock and flintlock, with original springs. If the spring is made of proper steel, without flaws or stress risers and properly heat treated, it should outlast several generations of shooters.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

time is not the issue, i would think the number of cycles is what is important art
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Here are some hard numbers for you:

2004 Shiloh 1874 Sporter #1 45-70 20,000+ rounds - original mainspring, 4th lever spring, 2 firing pins.

2006 Shiloh 1874 Sporter #1 40-65 In 2009 with about 5000 rounds through it the mainspring broke (Raton Nationals) the replacement is still going. 3rd lever spring.

2009 Shiloh 1874 Sporter #1 45-90 5000+ rounds - original mainspring, original lever spring.

I have always left my hammer at half cock on all three since day one. I carry 2 firing pins, 2 lever springs, 1 mainspring, 1 transfer bar in my spare parts kit. I purchased these in 2004 with the 45-70 and Shiloh have just been replacing them as needed ever since, no questions asked. On one occasion a lever spring broke during a shoot. I phoned on Monday morning and the replacement was waiting at the next shoot on Friday. Can't beat that no how.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
lrb

Post by lrb »

The '74's don't really have a half cock, only a safety cock and full. The safety cock adds very little extra stress to the main spring.
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Many thanks, guys, for the information.
Lrb: I have only 1863s. Your reply: The '74's don't really have a half cock, only a safety cock and full. The safety cock adds very little extra stress to the main spring. appears to describe tumblers of 1863 and 1874 as being different. My cap lock's half-cock, or hammer in loading position has hammer's rotation/pivot maintained to allow easy access to their nipples. Incidentally, its position also keeps hammer from inadvertently firing the loaded rifle were lever snapped closed.

If I am reading your information correctly, 1874 safety cock has hammer nose maintained much closer to the breech block? Where might I find a photograph showing this hammer in its engagement with "safety cock?" If I could find a photograph showing 1863 AND 1874 in their equivalent intermediate positions, that would be wonderful.

And you may have created two more questions.
1. Is 1874's safety cock high enough to allow safe loading of 1863s? If it is, it might be time to chat with Kirk.

2. If safety cock is NOT high enough, it might be time to chat with Kirk to ask whether tumblers can be obtained with all three hammer positions available - similar to Colt Single Action Army revolvers?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
lrb

Post by lrb »

I have no experience with the percussion Sharps, but the 74's safe position is maybe 1/8", give or take a tad, off the firing pin. Go to Shiloh's website. Look up custom engraving. The action on the right is in safe position. In fact, it would seem all but one rifle shown there is in safe mode.