1885 Highwall

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rickd

1885 Highwall

Post by Rickd »

Kirk .. any chance that you will EVERA BUILD an 1885 highway rifle? I love that rifle ... and one built by Shiloh Rifle would be special. What are the chances? Ta\hanks, Rick
#1 Sporter, 40-65, Heavy Half, Extra Fancy AAA, Bone & Charcoal CC, Pewter Tip, MVA Spirit Level Globe & Kelley Soule, Shotgun butt.
George Babits

Re: 1885 Highwall

Post by George Babits »

Good grief Rickd!! Shiloh is Sharps. You can't expect them do do it all. That's where the competition falls down --they can do everything --- sort of. If you want the real thing and high quality, give Kirk and his crew a break, and let them build Sharps rifles. If you want a quality High Wall get an original.

George
Salmon, Idaho
Constable Bill Manning

Post by Constable Bill Manning »

MVA is in the final stages of completing High Wall actions in single, single set, double set, and pistol grip double set configurations. Running from around $1200 to $1500 or so. Have Shiloh do the case color. Would make a nice start to a new project rifle!!
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

Hey! I am in line for a Shiloh Borchardt first! No cutting!!!

Seriously, I am pretty sure both of us are out of luck....
take care, Cody
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

When you see Kirk show up at Big Whiskey on a Honda GoldWing you can get your order in on a Hi-Wall.
Actually there are several Shiloh Hi-Walls around.
Shiloh has been casting Hi-Wall actions for years and there are several that have been completed.
I have one that is still under construction.
Jerry Van Way in Raton has built two that I know of and one of them I sold on my web site a couple of years ago that had a Shiloh barrel and serial number.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
johnl

Post by johnl »

Steve Rhoades wrote:When you see Kirk show up at Big Whiskey on a Honda GoldWing you can get your order in on a Hi-Wall.
Actually there are several Shiloh Hi-Walls around.
Shiloh has been casting Hi-Wall actions for years and there are several that have been completed.
I have one that is still under construction.
Jerry Van Way in Raton has built two that I know of and one of them I sold on my web site a couple of years ago that had a Shiloh barrel and serial number.

Didn't know that. Well if the Canadian Peso ever get close to par with the greenback, I'll have to get a Big Timber Hi-Wall too.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

I had seen that Kirk was casting highwall actions for a company that was to build finished rifles .. but apparently they aren't really operating yet. So the only one I know of .. other than some "one off" real custom (super expensive) would be the "competition" across the street.
#1 Sporter, 40-65, Heavy Half, Extra Fancy AAA, Bone & Charcoal CC, Pewter Tip, MVA Spirit Level Globe & Kelley Soule, Shotgun butt.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Rick another option is to have good gunsmith build you a custom rifle. MVA is taking orders for their new highwall action, that might be a good start.

Chris.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

The MVA actions look great! A custom built around one of them would be very nice!

Clarence
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote:Rick another option is to have good gunsmith build you a custom rifle. MVA is taking orders for their new highwall action, that might be a good start.

Chris.

Hey Chris

Can't find it on their site?
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

JC had his examples of his new 1885 actions at the .22 BPCRA Nationals in Raton this year. They are really really nice!!!! I am not sure when they will be out for sale, but I think it will be fair soon. This is second hand information, but I think he was waiting for a certain number of orders before he starts Maybe November or December?? Maybe JC will let the word out when the production will be ready for sale.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

John you'll have to call them. Their site doesn't get updated often. There was some discussion here a while ago about the MVA actions. I don't believe they've started production yet and are waiting for enough orders to come in first. At least that's what I believe I remember. :-)

A single shot gunsmith that came highly recommended to me by some of the ASSRA guys was Steven Durren. Mr. Durren is currently building a reproduction of an early schuetzen style highwall for me. It's actually based on a C. Sharps action but has been milled to "thin side" profile and case hardened in the original style.

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

gunlaker wrote:John you'll have to call them. Their site doesn't get updated often. There was some discussion here a while ago about the MVA actions. I don't believe they've started production yet and are waiting for enough orders to come in first. At least that's what I believe I remember. :-)

A single shot gunsmith that came highly recommended to me by some of the ASSRA guys was Steven Durren. Mr. Durren is currently building a reproduction of an early schuetzen style highwall for me. It's actually based on a C. Sharps action but has been milled to "thin side" profile and case hardened in the original style.

Chris.

Post picture when completed. Chris, I waiting for Clay to import my saddle 50-90. Maybe Heffley next year is not out of the question :lol:
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I will post a picture when I get it. It might be a while yet. If Clay has started the importing process it should be quick. I don't think he's ever taken longer than 6-8 weeks for my orders.

It would be good to see you at Heffley Creek, I'm sure you'd have a blast.

Chris.
Rickd

Post by Rickd »

I ordered a Highwall from CSA, 38-55, SS trigger, semi fancy wood, shotgun butt with pistol grip and pewter inlays. Deciding on which sights to go with. Have a Kelley mid rang on my Shiloh 40-65 and like it a lot. MVA makes a really nice one and the Steve Baldwin looks interesting with the slightly wider .. easier to read .. staff. Should have the rifle for Christmas.