Sling swivels

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GST

Sling swivels

Post by GST »

My new Shiloh came with sling studs and I am looking to find a set of traditional swivels that screw onto the studs, say 1". Don't want QD's, got plenty of them. Any sources? The more I look the more confused I get.
Leaning to a canvas/leather setup like from Trader Keith or even H&H or Westley Richards.

Scott
Charter member of the Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
GST

Re: Sling swivels

Post by GST »

Been about 2 weeks and nuthin. Ordered a couple of sets and they either didn't work or looked funny.
GST

Post by GST »

Wow...no help at all. Not even a smart axed reply, must have leprosy or something.
lrb

Post by lrb »

Just MHO, but I don't think you are going to find any sling swivels that "look" good on a Sharps. You may find some that work good, and do what they are intended for, but I just don't see "looking" good with any common type of swivel. You might take a look at some of the 18th c. types that used a large button on the butt stock, and a stirrup type of bar on the fore stock. You might be able to make some adaptations to that type of system and maybe look more appropriate.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Well, about the only thing I can think of would be the Winchester style hooks. But, if the studs are for QD swivels, which I think they are, it will probably take some modification. I have put the Winchester studs on several of my Winchesters. I don't care for the hooks so I use the QD swivels. I use the QD swivels on a couple of my Sharps too. Nothing wrong with the QD swivels and I don't have a sling on anything except when I'm hunting.

George
Salmon, Idaho
GST

Post by GST »

I got a set of swivels from NECG but the tabs/ears? are too short for the holes to line up. I think I can file or dremel some of the metal off the bottom of the loop to give enough room to fit. QD's are always an option. This one came off the rack with the studs and will be just for hunting at home. Don't have the inclination to go elsewhere and shoot with other people any more. If and when it cools of I will be after pigs.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Back in the day men were men they carried their rifle cradled in their arm or across the saddle pomel. The only sling I have ever seen on an original sharps was a military rifle or carbine. :)
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Actually, the first 1874 Sharps I had (cast me $119.95 in 1967 or8) had a pair of holes in front of the forend where a sling swivel had been attached at one time. I can't remember if there was a swivel on the buttstock or not. Speaking of "carrying a rifle across the pommel, I once saw a Remington rolling block on which the forear, had been mearly worn in half by doing that. I'll bet a good close look at Seller's book will reveal a few with sling swivels.

Having said that, you have to hunt in the woods carrying your Sharps on a sling when there is snow in the trees. Before you know it that big bore will be full of snow. I learned that one the hard way, and always taped the muzzle afterwards.

George
Orville

Post by Orville »

Any sling attachments I have seen on original sharps other then military have bee added at a later date.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

It may well be that it was added later. But, if it was on that particular rifle it had been added a long time ago from what I remember of the two threaded holes. While I wouldn't add sling swivels to an original sharps, having them on a modern one makes life a whole bunch easier when you are trying to drag game out of the woods. I doubt that there are many people hunting with a Sharps on horseback these days, and I've never been fortunate enough to have someone along to carry my rifle for me, so a sling is pretty handy.

George
boge

Post by boge »

George Babits wrote:...While I wouldn't add sling swivels to an original sharps, having them on a modern one makes life a whole bunch easier when you are trying to drag game out of the woods. I doubt that there are many people hunting with a Sharps on horseback these days, and I've never been fortunate enough to have someone along to carry my rifle for me, so a sling is pretty handy.

George

Maybe you need a squaw. :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Have the same one I've had for the last 37 years. She helps me buck bales, feeds me and the horses, and is a deadly shot when she wants to be. However, I prefer to hunt by myself so a sling is pretty handy at times. If you take a look at page 220 in Seller's book on the Sharps, you will see a pair of rifles with sling swivels. Sellers lists the swivels among the "extra features" of the 1874. Interestingly, two have only butt swivels. The one with a swivel on the barrel looks like it is a stud for some sort of removable swivel. Also, on page 192 is a Freund modified 2 barrel set with swivel studs on buttstock and both barrels. That rifle is in the Theadore Rooseveldt museum in Medora, ND, if you want to take a closer look at it. If memory serves me right one of the barrels is in 30-40 Krag. It doesn't say that in the book or the display, but I had an opportunity to study the curation cards for that rifle and several others.

Keep your powder dry!
George