shiloh custom bedding

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rich Siegel

shiloh custom bedding

Post by Rich Siegel »

What exactly is custom bedding as advertised in the Shiloh catalog and is it worth the extra money? The Shiloh's I have now shoot very accurately as is.
pacecars

Re: shiloh custom bedding

Post by pacecars »

The inside other forearm is finished. I have ordered it on all of mine since they are for hunting and might get wet. It is only $50 so I would say it is worth it.
Real gun powder is black.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

The forearm is fitted for 100% bbl contact with bedding compound that a type of epoxy substance.
You can remove the forearm for cleaning etc.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

Rich Siegel wrote:What exactly is custom bedding as advertised in the Shiloh catalog?
Micro Bed epoxy bedding compound laid in the barrel channel (apparently) to prevent absorbtion of water.
Scroll down to the post by Ken Hartlein ...
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5289&start=15
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

So from the discussion it seems that the Custom Bedding is for more for water/weather proofing than improving accuracy?
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

So from the discussion it seems that the Custom Bedding is for more for water/weather proofing than improving accuracy?
johnl

Post by johnl »

Pink Panther wrote:So from the discussion it seems that the Custom Bedding is for more for water/weather proofing than improving accuracy?

Yep.
lrb

Post by lrb »

I would say more for retaining accuracy by reducing wood pressure changes from moisture swelling, rather than promoting accuracy. I believe relieving wood at the rear of the forearm a few thousandths has more effect, but bedding does eliminate one more factor involved.
johnl

Post by johnl »

lrb wrote:I would say more for retaining accuracy by reducing wood pressure changes from moisture swelling, rather than promoting accuracy. I believe relieving wood at the rear of the forearm a few thousandths has more effect, but bedding does eliminate one more factor involved.

These aren't free floating forend rifles. Like others have stated, cheap insurance if shooting in the elements.