Another sight problem

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gussy

Another sight problem

Post by Gussy »

My hunting rifle shoots very low, like almost 3' at 100 yds. These photos show the temporary fix. Front sight is cut as low as possible and the rear is jacked up as much as I dare which is 0.110 with brass shims. This is what I used to shoot the buffalo 2 weeks ago. If I can find a longer screw for the rear sight, I might make something like a quarter rib to go full length under it. Probably about 1/4" thick. Then I could get a good front sight.

Any other suggestions?

FFG

Re: Another sight problem

Post by FFG »

How about a MVA 133 tang sight.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Gussy,

I happen to know where there's an MVA 133 in almost new condition...

Clarence
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

This is totally a dedicated hunting rifle, no target shooting other than plinking.

I have a Kelly for it and an MVA short scope which I normally will use for hunting. Since I will mostly hunt with the scope, at least for elk, I would like the option of removing the scope and using the barrel sights. Also should the scope be fogged or damaged or whatever, I want the barrel sights to work.

I have hunted with tang sights and did not really care for them. I might consider a Lyman tang at some point if I can't get the barrel sights to be what I would like.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Gussy--Check your PM. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I had the same problem when I replaced the post and ball globe sight with the Shiloh German silver blade on my 34" #2 sporter. I replaced the semi-buckhorn sight with a full buckhorn. If you don't like the tall ears on the full buckhorn file them off.
bobw

Post by bobw »

My new Montana Roughrider came with the tall fullbuckhorn rear wished I would have had Kirk swap it out for a semi buckhorn while I was there. The buckhorns leave the notch in to much shadow. My silver blade is gonna leave for a pre 1982 penny for better visibility also. bobw
bobw
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Gussy, One problem I can see w/ your front sight is the high end of the blade really needs to be on the back of the blade, and not on the front. This is because the shooter's eye tends to focus on the highest part of the blade to get the sight picture. Anything in front of the high point tends to add confusion to your eye, and does not give the shooter a consistent perfect sight picture. Ultimately this can translate into a lot of vertical shot distribution, and will vary quite a lot under variable light conditions.

Regards
IR
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I have just the opposite problem. My 45-70 22" barrel Shiloh Sharps carbine shoots about 17" low at 100 yards. It has a "welded" on front sight not a dove tail with a blade. I would really like it to shoot point of aim at 100 yds for possible deer hunting. How much should I file down the front sight? And what's the best way to "file" it down? It looks like an original carbine so I really don't want to mess it up or change to a non-period front sight.
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

I had the same problem with my 30 inch Military rifle. I masked the barrel and filed down the sides of the iron block front sight and did not lower the blade until I shot it on paper at 100 yards. Filed it down to look just right and added a soft steel 1/16" shim under the semi buckhorn rear sight and have a perfect zero with both the BACO 511-500 grain flat nose and the Accurate Molds 51-465S round nosed bullet. Kik 2 fg for the BACO and OE 1.5 fg with the round nosed bullet. Then I lowered the ladder notch to give me a 200 yard zero. I am good to go as far as I can see now. The Military rifle is really a good shooter!