Re-loading

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RobSanders

Re-loading

Post by RobSanders »

I have a 45/90 Shiloh Sharps. My question has to do with re-loading...

Recently loaded (black powder) a bunch of cartridges. After the first group we tried them out. A few wouldn't fit the gun as they bound at the bottom of the case. Tried to do them again. Determined that the RCBS 45/90 resizing die was not a "full length resizing die" and a bunch of brass was set aside.

Those that work are H.D.F. 45/90 WCF. Also have some new Starline 45/90 without further classification.

In trying to find a "full length resizing die" I ran into a wall. Some are listed as 45/90 Government (I didn't know there was such); Lyman has 45/90 Sharps (which I assume is okay); my question concerns the brass. There is 45/90 Win, 45/90 WCF and 45/90 Sharps(?). Any suggestions on the dies or the brass?
BFD

Re: Re-loading

Post by BFD »

Most of the time that this happens it is because the bullets have been bumped up too large while seating. The cartridge binds 1/4 to 1/2" from being fully seated and it seems like it must be near the rim where the problem lies, but it is not.

To be sure, paint a sticky cartridge with a sharpie marker and reinsert. Then extract and inspect for rub spots. That RCBS die should have done the job.

You can also try chambering a piece of brass, then reloading and rechambering to see if it fits. I bet it is your reloading technique that is causing the problem.

Just guesses, but they have been true more often than not.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Without seeing it first hand, I'm inclined to run with BFD on this with your projectile likely causing the problems. Possibly bullet 'bump up or swell' ..or even a projectile with a tad oversize bore riding nose. The other option may be too much flare on the case mouth but the bullet..or loading of the bullet is more likely the issue. The Shiloh chambers are usually nice and snug and loading techniques that work for another rifle may not work with the more snug dimensions of the rifle you're dealing with. Measure your case length ( just to be sure ) , then full length size with no flare. Run some verniers over the case neck and take a note , then see if it will chamber. Then flare the case the 'barest amount' and seat the bullet to the appropriate depth ( given the bullets design ). Measure the case neck again and try chambering. Just work with an unprimed case with no wads so there is no undue load put on the projectile. The sharpie marker on the case is a good idea as would be similar on the bullet nose . See how you go. hth.
J.B.

ps. another area would be sized bullet diameter but if you are in the .458/.459" area this is unlikely to be the problem.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Steve crawford

Post by Steve crawford »

I learned the hard way about not using the bullet to compress the powder. I thought I compressed with the expanding die but it was a little short. After being told by more than one person here. I measured a bullet before seating and then measured it after seating. It had swelled several thousands just above the first band. I got a compression die and never had any trouble after proper compression. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Steve

P.S. Mine was also a 45/90 ( 45 2.4)
NRA Life Member TSRA Life Member
Shiloh #1 Sporter 40-2.1 Remington Rollingblock #1 40-2.1
RobSanders

Post by RobSanders »

Thanks.

Whether bumping out from compressing or compressing using the bullet, I think it's time to try something different.
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

RobSanders wrote:Thanks.

Whether bumping out from compressing or compressing using the bullet, I think it's time to try something different.
Select a loaded round that won't chamber.
Measure the outside diameter of the brass case at the mouth.
If that dimension is greater than .484" you almost surely have a 'bumped up' bullet.

Remove the decapping pin from your 45/90 full length resizing die and run the loaded round into it.

I bet it will chamber, now.

CM
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...