old reliable 5070

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DaveS

old reliable 5070

Post by DaveS »

Hi my name is Dave in oklahoma my dad left me a Shiloh arms rifle old reliable 5070 I don't know anything about it and I've got 20 rounds of brass empty shells id like to know how to load it and try to shoot it sometims

Thanks Dave
Ray Newman

Re: old reliable 5070

Post by Ray Newman »

First a question: do want to load with black powder or smokeless powder, lead or jacketed bullets?
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

I think Pyrodex in LED
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

I personally have found a great deal of satisfaction loading the old calibers (I have a 50-90 and a 45-110) with black powder and cast bullets and shooting them. I have no desire to make a black powder gun into a smokeless gun - I have smokeless guns already. But it is always up to each shooter to do what he enjoys. Don't be intimidated by a new way to shoot -a book that helped me tremendously to understand the old buffalo guns, how to shoot and clean them, and gave me good initial loading data to use for black powder was Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West". Mike talks about the history to each caliber and rifle, your 50-70 is included. And he gives specific data as to what components - bullet weight, type powder, primers, etc he uses in his BPCRs to get started with good results. Again your 50-70 is in there. I read this book several times and it greatly helped weed out the blogs where people just spout a bunch of BS about loading and the blogs where you can actually find some sensible and accurate help for your reloading. You can order it on Amazon or get it through other places - I think Shiloh might have it or Buffalo Arms. Shiloh and Buffalo Arms are excellent places to look for black powder reloading supplies, etc. Black powder reloading sounds intimidating when you first look at it - but as you actually try it it is not hard and very satisfying. Have fun shooting that old boy. Fogman
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Another alternative is if you just want to fire the rifle and aren't sure you want to invest in setting up to load for it, you can buy a box of black powder 50-70 already loaded at Buffalo Arms. When I first started, I bought a couple of boxes and I used them as a "control load" to see how my loads stacked up - same shooter, same day, same rifle, pre-loaded vs my handloads. Mine did pretty good. Fogman

http://www.buffaloarms.com/.46_caliber_ ... -4444.aspx
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Thanks I'll look that up i have head this rifle on by wall and now i thank its time to try out dads rifel . do you nead special tools to load the cartridges
BFD

Post by BFD »

Dave, it might not take special tools to load, but only if your brass doesn't need sizing.

where do you live? Perhaps someone is close by that could help. I would REALLY hate to see you put pyrodex through it.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Sent you a PM DaveS.
Sam
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Midway carries three different brands of 50-70 dies, Lyman being the cheapest at $45.49. The dies are standard thread so they fit just about any reloading set up you already may have. You can make a drop tube - just remember that whatever else you carry over from smokeless reloading needs to be static electricity free for black powder use; i.e. powder measure, scale, etc. Mike Venturino's book took me the rest of the way. There is something satisfying about touching off one of these rifles with a BP load in it - especially when your groups at 100yds through the tang sight are as good as some of those sighting in their smokeless elk guns with 9 power scopes! I would recommend a Galazan Gamekeeper slip-on recoil pad to fit the stock when you shoot - it will be much more comfortable. I got a medium that fits all my Sharps rifles for $38 and they are dark leather and look good too. http://www.csmcspecials.com/Gamekeeper_ ... p/slip.htm. Not trying to sell anything here but just want to help you enjoy shooting that old boy.
boge

Post by boge »

Post some photos please, DaveS. The old Shilohs are interesting. :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!