Case Separation

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SFogler

Case Separation

Post by SFogler »

When I was working up loads for my 50-90, I had a case completely separate in the chamber after firing. I had to take it to my gunsmith to get the top piece out of the chamber. The case was in two pieces, cut just about in half all the way around. The only thing I can think of that would make this happen was I was trying a new bullet and I hand seated it. I had used the seating die to seat and slightly crimp my 543 gr loads. I had some 650 gr bullets I wanted to try but I did not want to change around my seating die to the bigger bullet... a pain to readjust the seating die. I found I could just thumb-seat the 650 gr bullets. What I didn't realize was if they will push down easily into the cartridge, they can come back out a bit without me noticing and leave a gap between powder/wad and the bullet base. I assume that's what caused this??? I haven't tried to thumb-seat anything else and I have not had a repeat of this... thank God. Any of you had this happen? Am I right or was something else going on here? The brass was new Starline sized for this rifle. Once again I can't get a picture to upload - 'Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached' message appears when I try.
Gussy

Re: Case Separation

Post by Gussy »

Wet chamber or overlength brass.
Orville

Post by Orville »

Inside of case dirty, with too much compression, 3fg or 2fg causing violent upset causing bullet to grip the case wall and taking the case with. An over length case shouldn't cause case separation just some roll over and crimping of the cas mouth.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

What they BOTH said :!:
Just drive a bullet from the muzzle. 99.9% of the time that will push the case out.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

Had a similar problem once and all I did was take the bore brush ( as in cleaning ) on the cleaning rod insert it through the chamber and pulled back, it out worked just fine.

Frank

My long distance provider is Sharps.
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Thanks for the input - I was using 1.5 Swiss so maybe I compressed it too much when seating the bullet. The case had actually stuck up into the rifling - I could see the grooves when I got the pieces back.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

SFogler wrote: The case had actually stuck up into the rifling - I could see the grooves when I got the pieces back.
That's why I said to push a bullet(base first)from the muzzle.
Everyone in this game long enough will have this happen.
What were you doing for fouling control?
Gary
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I had the same thing happen with a .45=90 some years ago. It was definitely a wet chamber. A tight patch driven from the muzzle removed the case.

Clarence
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Gary
I use the blow tube for 3-5 rounds then use a cotton ball wet with Windex Vinegar and water to clean the bore. I have a cleaning rod with a jag to push the cotton ball and a slot a couple of inches down to hold a 3" patch that follows. I will try swabbing the chamber dry with the chamber cleaner swab after cleaning the bore.

Thanks
Fogman
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

SFogler wrote:Gary
I use the blow tube for 3-5 rounds then use a cotton ball wet with Windex Vinegar and water to clean the bore. I have a cleaning rod with a jag to push the cotton ball and a slot a couple of inches down to hold a 3" patch that follows. I will try swabbing the chamber dry with the chamber cleaner swab after cleaning the bore.

Thanks
Fogman
You had a wet chamber, that was the cause of the case sept. :wink:
Use the windex and dry-Don't need the extra water.......
Your switch'n up how 'clean' the bore is. That will affect your accuracy.
You want the bore to be in the SAME condition for each and every shot.

Gary