Forearms

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Forearms

Post by pacecars »

Are all the forearms the same length regardless of barrel length?
Real gun powder is black.
J.B.

Re: Forearms

Post by J.B. »

I've only had the one Shiloh with a standard schnable forend but it was shorter than the pewter or ebony tipped version I had in the safe. It wasn't much shorter though and in no way effected the hold of the rifle. I don't have it any longer so I can't give you any measurements to compare though unfortunately. It was a 28" barrelled gun . A lot of it is aesthetics I do believe although you'll get more weight from the pewter tip...and I think even the ebony tip adds a little. Worried about weight on my current order so have opted for the standard schnable forend. If I'm way under, then I may have a new forend fitted later. It looks quite fitting on a shorter rifle with less 'bling'. More a traditional working gun look. JMO ..and probably " not worth two bob ". !

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
bobw

Post by bobw »

JB pewter tips are more common than not on original Hartford era working guns from what I've seen... bobw
bobw
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Well there you go. Thanks for the heads up Bob. Don't see a lot of originals down here. I gather the Bridgeports were generally a more 'plain' gun in comparison..unless the buyer optioned them up ? The forend on the 50/70 Saddle rifle I had was definitely a little shorter than the pewter tips I've handled. Was a sweet handling gun though and its new owner loves it. See you at the Q ?

rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
bobw

Post by bobw »

Yeah JB, Bridgeport guns featured a std schnabble tipped forend and the pewter could still be optioned though. Definetly see you at the Q. bobw
bobw