Butt Stocks

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pacecars

Butt Stocks

Post by pacecars »

If you have a rifle with the rubber buttplate can a traditional steel be retrofitted to it?
Real gun powder is black.
boge

Re: Butt Stocks

Post by boge »

Buttplates are a SOB to fit on any old style rifle. As well, since each rifle is (usually) hand sanded with the buttplate on they are a custom fit for each rifle, not unlike Colt one piece grips. One will fit, but it will either be a tad too small or too large if you want a perfect seamless fit.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
lrb

Post by lrb »

Yes, but it takes a little skill, and a lot of time and patience. Especially if you want a butt plate having a tang, which I would guess is what you want.
bobw

Post by bobw »

They put a plastic butt plate on the shotgun butt as standard because that was like the originals (hard rubber?) It's also to insure you will buy another one and not be a cheap skate and ordering the new one with a checkered steel butt plate. After you show your gun to few guys that roll their eyes and make disparaging remarks about it you are supposed to be put in your place. But you got a deal on it second hand, so quit worrying about it cause it won't affect how it shoots and that is the important thing. bobw
bobw
pete

Post by pete »

Actually it's just the opposite today as it was back in the day. The hard rubber plate was used on higher grade target models and the steel plate that we pay more for today was standard on lower grade target rifles and sporting rifles that used shotgun stocks. It's on page 213 of Frank Sellers' book.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Pete ,not sure that's it entirely. I think those hard rubber ones were used to save the weight on Creedmoor and LR models. bobw
bobw
drcook

Post by drcook »

pacecars wrote:If you have a rifle with the rubber buttplate can a traditional steel be retrofitted to it?
Yes, I had one done that I had purchased off the rack at a local store that used to stock them (yes there was a stocking firearms store here in Ohio ! )

If you are going to have Shiloh do it, there will be a bench charge and a charge to refinish the buttstock as the steel ones are sanded to the wood, which messes up the finish. Plus the cost of the buttplate of course.

I am extremely pleased with the results and you absolutely cannot tell the difference between ordered or retrofitted
We thought about it for a long time Endeavor to persevere. And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union. I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet
pete

Post by pete »

Bob; that could be. I think the thing is that today we pay more for the steel plate and generally the more expensive rifles have that feature but back in the day the more expensive rifles had the hard rubber plate. Steel could also have used on sporters because it's more durable or maybe hard rubber was more exotic for the time. Don't know.