Stock finish

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TimW

Re: Stock finish

Post by TimW »

Jim Kidwell wrote:...have had good luck with TruOil. It has never let me down...................

That crap has never FAILED to let me down! :evil: Doesn't soak in for sh!t and leaves a gloppy, drippy mess, and yes, I do know what I'm doing with wood finishing.

I use Watco Danish oil on my Garands and it does a fantastic job IMHO.

Tim
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Tim W,
Are you related to BFD?
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
boge

Post by boge »

TimW wrote:That crap has never FAILED to let me down! :evil: Doesn't soak in for sh!t and leaves a gloppy, drippy mess, and yes, I do know what I'm doing with wood finishing....
That shows that perhaps you don't know what you're doing as you should only put on a very small amount per coat and letting it dry after thoroughly rubbing it in. After each coat dries you have to LIGHTLY polish/buff it down before applying a 2nd coat. I use #0000 steel wool ever so lightly. The 'coats' have to be built up one at a time of course. I have found that five coats are perfect for my needs. :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
TimW

Post by TimW »

Steve Rhoades wrote:Tim W,
Are you related to BFD?
Nope

boge wrote: That shows that perhaps you don't know what you're doing as you should only put on a very small amount per coat and letting it dry after thoroughly rubbing it in. After each coat dries you have to LIGHTLY polish/buff it down before applying a 2nd coat. I use #0000 steel wool ever so lightly. The 'coats' have to be built up one at a time of course. I have found that five coats are perfect for my needs. :wink:
Shows that you make assumptions that aren't correct. :wink:

Your method is EXACTLY how I do it.

Not saying it doesn't work for YOU, but my experience has been otherwise.

4-5 coats of Danish OIl and I have a PERFECT (for my tastes)satin finish.

The problem with TruOil is that it does NOT penetrate well at all and simply dries on the surface, didn't matter to me how little I used.
boge

Post by boge »

TimW wrote:...The problem with TruOil is that it does NOT penetrate well at all and simply dries on the surface, didn't matter to me how little I used.
Yes it does as it's merely linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits & added dryers. Wood finishing requires patience.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
TimW

Post by TimW »

boge wrote:
TimW wrote:...The problem with TruOil is that it does NOT penetrate well at all and simply dries on the surface, didn't matter to me how little I used.
Yes it does as it's merely linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits & added dryers. Wood finishing requires patience.

Well, I'll admit I only used it on two stocks years ago. It was a "new" bottle when I bought it and possibly was old. I just know that I'll never use it again as I have what I feel is a better product on hand.

Discussions like this are why I like forums, as you (usually) get all points of view and others experiences.

Tim
boge

Post by boge »

I am redoing an Uberti carbine stock & forearm and have put on three coats of Truoil since about 4 PM today. I will try & get some photos posted soon. Truoil is actually more varnish than oil if the truth be known. I am simply putting on one thin coat at a time with a cut up T-Shirt as a rag and after drying I use #0000 steel wool lightly before the next coat. So far it's flawless. At least for me, Truoil has always been 'bulletproof'.
1minute

Post by 1minute »

I asked the identical question several years ago, as I was considering adding a bit more depth to my rifle's finish. The response from the company was "tung oil."
1Minute
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

Mr. Kidwell's post had me doin a search. When I decided to enhance my standard finish I came across a bowl turner who showed the various finishes he'd applied, one of wh/ was Formby's wh/ surprised me. Lotta talk out there re: whether the various tung oil "finishes" contain any tung oil at all. Seems that Formby's actually does (and others don't).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread. ... l-question

I used pure tung oil cut by varying degrees throughout the process, but might have a try w/ Formby's too now that I know it actually contains tung oil. (And b/c that bowl turner's end result using it was remarkable.)
"Show the slightest preference for this or that, and heaven and earth become infinitely far apart."
Is it any accident that "Statute of Limitations" and "S**t Out of Luck" share the same acronym? I think not (therefore I am).