Stock finish

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TimW

Stock finish

Post by TimW »

What is the standard stock finish if one doesn't go with the AA or AAA options?

Thanks
Tim
Chief Beck

Re: Stock finish

Post by Chief Beck »

Standard "A".

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
bobw

Post by bobw »

tung oil finish is std. AA is tung oil with more coats . AAA is tung oil with even more handrubbed coats. Original Sharps finish was oil of some kind and on the higher grade guns some kind of varnish. bobw
bobw
TimW

Post by TimW »

bobw wrote:tung oil finish is std. AA is tung oil with more coats . AAA is tung oil with even more handrubbed coats. Original Sharps finish was oil of some kind and on the higher grade guns some kind of varnish. bobw

Thanks! That was what I wanted to know.

UNLIKE the first reply, it was very helpful.

Tim
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

With the wood Shiloh uses(Missouri walnut). What ever grade of wood you choose. The AAA finish makes it look like a much higher grade.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Seller's book says that even on target rifles, standard grade wood was used unless upgraded wood was ordered.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Chief Beck

Post by Chief Beck »

UNLIKE the first reply, it was very helpful.

Tim[/quote]

Ah, but it is correct!

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
boge

Post by boge »

bobw wrote:...Original Sharps finish was oil of some kind and on the higher grade guns some kind of varnish. bobw
Every 19th century gun manuf. had their own recipe for stock finish which was invariably raw linseed oil and sometimes with steeped alkanet root in it for a slight reddish color. The varnish finish on higher grade guns was surely some sort of shellac. Obviously Shiloh knows a trick I don't as I never liked tung oil for it seemed to take forever to dry between coats. I've tried everything and always end up back with Truoil, which is merely linseed oil thinned with mineral spirits and some dryers tossed in.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Boge,
Try MinWax Tung Oil.
It has the dryers added to it unlike pure tung oil.
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Boiled linseed oil mixed with gum turpentine works well. The thinner agent allows more penetration and the gum turpentine aids drying. I've done this on a 'home made' stock and it came up really well . I'd be loathed to try 'touching up' any blemishes on my Shilohs stock though. I believe tung oil is the preferred option but either very little or lightly thinned down with gum turpentine . I bought a small bottle of pure tung oil a few years back and haven't been game to use it. It seemed to cost a lot for 500 mls ( just over 1/2 pint ). The contents have settled some though and theres a dark band at the bottom and opaque liquid above it. Possibly gone by its 'use-by' date... much like me :lol: The AA finish is magnificent on a an extra fancy piece of timber ...I can only imagine what AAA would be like. :D

rgds.. J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

If I remember correctly, Shiloh uses Formby's Tung Oil Finish.
Personally, I have had good luck with TruOil. It has never let me down...................
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Kidwell,
You use the Truoil to grease up your body when you put on the striped shorts and headband for your workout videos?
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
boge

Post by boge »

Steve Rhoades wrote:Boge,
Try MinWax Tung Oil.
It has the dryers added to it unlike pure tung oil.

Thanks, I did not know that. However, I am in agreement with Mr. Kidwell in that Truoil has never let me down. I have also read excellent things about the British Liberon Wood Finishing Oil and want to try it.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
lrb

Post by lrb »

I will add one more. Jim Chambers stock finish. Best I have found, and I have used many different finishes over the years. The Chambers oil is very thin, soaks in deep, and requires little to no rubbing.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Forby's makes a much better finish than Minwax (both "tung" oil). It will take a slight sheen, where the Minwax product gives a muddy, dull look. I'm told, although I don't know this for certain, that many "tung" oils are something else.

I've had very good results with Permalyn. It works a bit easier than TruOil.

Clarence