Current LOP?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Current LOP?

Post by Todd Birch »

What is the current standard LOP on a rifle with DST's?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gunlaker

Re: Current LOP?

Post by gunlaker »

Todd, my Long Range Express measures 14-1/8" from centre of the buttstock to the centre of the trigger. My latest #3 measures the same.

Chris.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

THANKS, Gunlaker!
I measured the LOP on my Farmingdale 'Business Rifle', and with a BACO leather butt pad, it's 14-1/4". The BR has a military crescent butt, so it would be shorter were it not for the pad and a foam insert. I find that a tad long for off hand, but great for prone x-stix.

I'm looking at a new Sporter #1 and I didn't want to have to order a shorter than standard LOP. Five years ago when I took delivery of my new 50-70 carbine, it went back the week it arrived to have the stock shortened 3/4". Doesn't sound like much but even in a T-shirt, it was too long and wearing hunting clothes - really long!
I talked to Kirk about it and he told me that since people are generally larger these days, they thought it prudent to increase the LOP from the historic length for the military rifles. That may make sense, but I haven't gotten any larger!

The Montana Roughrider stock does not have a cheek rest, unlike the Sporter #1, right? I think it's about time that I had a rifle with a cheek rest.
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I don't have a Roughrider, but I believe you are right. My next Shiloh will probably have a shorter length of pull. I find about 13-1/2 to 13-3/4 works best for me. This is mostly because with anything bigger than a .45-70 when shooting prone I wear a recoil pad and it adds extra length.

Chris.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

A 13-1/2" - 13-3/4" LOP works for me on most of my modern rifles. It's really a subjective matter.

In a book I have on custom rifles, the author says that experience has taught him that the ideal LOP on a hunting or target rifle is exactly 1/2" shorter than the customer specified. He discovered this when he blew it on a customer's rifle, and the guy was delighted with the result, not noticing the shorter length. He made it policy thereafter and never got complaints.
Most shooters can tolerate a too short stock as opposed to a too long stock, the '03 Springfield and M1 Garand for example. The Canadian Army offered rifles (Lee-Enfields and FN C1's) with S, N, L and XL butt stocks. If you didn't get the right length issued, your cheek took a beating as a lesson.

However, highly specialized BPCR's seem to be in a different class this way. I used to wear a 'sissy pad', but found it a PITA, hence the BACO leather pad with insert.

Are you shooting a 45-90 with more than 70 grs of powder? I've read that makes a 45-90 quite civilized to shoot.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I use 94gr of Swiss 1.5 in my .45-90. :D It's a paper patch rifle so the bullet only sits in the case 0.1".

I don't wear the pad because the recoil causes me any real discomfort, more because I imagine that after a while I'll likely get some cumulative damage to the shoulder. I try to practice prone shooting twice a week so I figured it'd be good insurance to wear one. :D

Admittedly not all of my shooting is with my .45-90 though. I shoot prone in rifles from .32-45 up to .45-110.

Todd, I'm not sure I ever asked you on here. Have you ever shot at the Heffley Creek silhouette match near Kamloops? One of the match directors just sent me the flyer for 2016. I'll post it here in the next couple of days.

Chris.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

No, I never did shoot that match, although I've shot the Hefley Creek CAS event more times than I can remember. That range is 6 hours south of me. I'm linking up with the guys in Prince George (2 hours north of me) who now have a 1000m range with over head cover and benches.

We are trying to get interest up in BPCR's between our two clubs. About half a dozen of our CAS guys have BPCR's, same with PG, but they only shoot them once a year in our annual events. I'm the only one that shoots Shilohs here. All the others shoot Ubertis or Pedersolis.

Our local range has 500m, but past 385m, you are shooting uphill. The 500m target position must be 15* uphill. Not ideal from prone.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Heffley Creek is also uphill a bit. Not bad at 500m, but noticeably so for the 800m gong. But I guess you know that :-).

I used a hand held inclinometer to get all of the angles once, but I don't remember where I wrote them down. The 800m gong is just doable from prone for me. In the gong match it's shot from sitting which is a pain in the butt due to the hill, but everyone has the same disadvantage at least :-).

Chris.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Where in the Colony are you situated? We'll keep you advised of any upcoming events.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'm down on the coast close to Vancouver.

Chris.
johnl

Post by johnl »

Hey Chris, where in the f did you find Swiss in the lower mainland :?: Thanks.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

John, there is a booth at the Chilliwack two day gun show ( March? ) that has some. They are not there every year though. There is another source but they are much more expensive. That is Rusty Wood Trading company. They will bring it in for you. I buy OE powder from them, but can't bring myself to pay his price for Swiss.

There is a dealer for Swiss in Canada. I don't remembr who, but I have it written down. One of the provinces east of the Rockies :-)

Chris.