cutting down a 34 inch barrel

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

humboldt

cutting down a 34 inch barrel

Post by humboldt »

If I was to have a 34 inch 45-70 Shiloh barrel cut down to 30 inches, is that going to have a major impact on the barrels "choke" ? Will it effect accuracy? Thanks. , Mori
life is good!
Beruisis

Re: cutting down a 34 inch barrel

Post by Beruisis »

You will probably find out that it helps accuracy if you are shooting cast bullets.
B.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

humboldt wrote:If I was to have a 34 inch 45-70 Shiloh barrel cut down to 30 inches, is that going to have a major impact on the barrels "choke" ? Will it effect accuracy? Thanks. , Mori
Did that to my #3 and it is fine. Better for carrying when hunting.
Dan
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

Do Shiloh Sharps rifles have a choke in the barrel?
I don't think it is even available as an option.
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
gws

Post by gws »

Just get out your chop saw and cut it where you want it. Recrown (Brownell's has a tool for that) and you ar good. A little cold blue if you think it needs it.

George Springer
TSRA - Life, NRA -Benefactor
boge

Post by boge »

To get the best accuracy after cutting the barrel you really need a bonafide gunsmith to crown it on a lathe. :wink:
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Maybe I heard wrong, but isn't the proper way to shorten a barrel and maintain the choke is cut off from the chamber end? Recutting threads and chamber is necessary but at that point it might be better to screw on a new and shorter pipe.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
dickens48

Post by dickens48 »

Most barrels do not have any type of choke are gain twist in them and can be cut to any length you like and will shoot as good sometimes better then before
neckshot johnny

Post by neckshot johnny »

I was told Shiloh does have a choke in their barrels, I don't how and they aren't telling how.
A person who is willing to give up a freedom for perceived security deserves neither.
boge

Post by boge »

neckshot johnny wrote:I was told Shiloh does have a choke in their barrels, I don't how and they aren't telling how.
No, they don't. Pedersoli does, but it is meaningless to accuracy and merely a myth carried over from the 19th century. The most important thing is that the crown is perfectly square to prevent yawing. Finally, great barrels are 'found' not made. There's only so much a maker can do and the rest is just luck.
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Boge, my last Shiloh, a .40-65 is definitely tighter for the last couple of inches at the muzzle. My older .45-110 and .45-70 don't seem to have a choke.

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Btw, Kirk mentions the choke here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=23933&p=268712&hilit=Choke#p268712

Chris.
boge

Post by boge »

News to me then. I never noticed it any of mine before.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I'm wondering if it's a newer thing. My .40-65 is a couple of years newer than my others. I think it's around 2 years old, but I don't remember exactly when it was built.

Chris.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I used Brownells .50 crown tool to recut an 11 degree crown on my original Spencer carbine.
used to shoot 4 inch groups at 50 yds. now shoots under 2 inches...ALL the time.
go ahead and do it...no biggie...ten minutes. five to do it,,,five to worry about it first...

Ken