cutting down a 34 inch barrel

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Rifleman01

Re: cutting down a 34 inch barrel

Post by Rifleman01 »

Cutting four inches off the barrel and re-crowning may not effect accuracy, BUT, your muzzle velocity will be lower due to incomplete burning of your Powder Charge (assuming your using the Holy Black). Therefore all your sight settings, recorded in your notebook will need re-doing especially at the longer ranges. It's worth considering all the variables before chopping a barrel down in length.
Harry
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

gunlaker wrote:I'm wondering if it's a newer thing. My .40-65 is a couple of years newer than my others. I think it's around 2 years old, but I don't remember exactly when it was built.

Chris.
My new #1 Sporter is def choked down enough that the single shiney (over-sized) bullet from a batch of 200 pre-cast would very lightly engrave on the lands when chambering but came nowhere near to being able to insert at the muzzle end. Didn't take any measurements b/c it was a one-off.
"Show the slightest preference for this or that, and heaven and earth become infinitely far apart."
Is it any accident that "Statute of Limitations" and "S**t Out of Luck" share the same acronym? I think not (therefore I am).
SchuetzenDave

Post by SchuetzenDave »

Cut rifled barrels are choked if you only run the cutter in one direction.

The cutter lifts a smidgen due to the cuttings as it goes further down the barrel.

That is why cut rifled barrels end up choked after multiple passes (i.e. 40 passes RKS) cutting a single groove.

You have to remember to always chamber the end where the cutter started the cut; since it will be about .0004 wider than the choked muzzle.

Yes the choked muzzle helps prevent gas cutting around the side of the bullet; and many competitive shooters prefer a choked barrel.

Using a choked barrel has helped me be the International Benchrest Schuetzen Champion in 2008 and 2013 and set a record in 2007.
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Mori,

I cut a 34" Shiloh back to 30" and never lost any accuracy. Had to recut the front-sight dove-tail and
it changed the sight settings at the Q a little. Sure made it handier for the off-hand target.

Check your PMs,

Jim
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.