Schnabble pistol grip

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Schnabble pistol grip

Post by johnl »

Gents

I got my letter today for my 16lb #1 Sporter, yippie ki yay. Before I call Lucinda with payment, what do you guys think of the Schnabble pistol grip option? Due to the Canadian Peso some features I want such as checkering and extra deluxe wood AAA etc has been toned down. I was thinking accent line and Schnabble, semi deluxe, AA, polished barrel , charcoal bone case harden, brass and shiny blue screws might not make it shot better however...... :lol: Thoughts?
lrb

Re: Schnabble pistol grip

Post by lrb »

It will be your gun. You should suit yourself as best you can.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I think the schnable looks great, wish I did it to mine. I do have thaw cent line around the cheek rest and it gives it a nice touch. What barrel length and caliber?
johnl

Post by johnl »

ChrisF wrote:I think the schnable looks great, wish I did it to mine. I do have thaw cent line around the cheek rest and it gives it a nice touch. What barrel length and caliber?

Chris

I went ahead with both buttstock options. 30" in poor man nitro express (50-90) :D
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

Personally I wouldn't skimp on the wood, especially if you are thinking of getting the rest of the features you mentioned to dress it up. I have not been overly impressed with semi-fancy wood - I bought a recently made Shiloh with semi-fancy and I turned around and sold it; the semi-fancy just didn't do much for me. The extra fancy wood is a whole different level - I have three with extra fancy wood and each one is stunning. It would be very difficult for me to part with any of them. IMHO I don't think you would regret getting the extra fancy or even presentation wood. Along with the other features you mentioned, have you considered a polished barrel? It's really all up to you; I'm sure it will look good.
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

It's 'horses for courses' I guess. I went without checkering on several rifles but having it now on one, I think it is money well spent. Wood grades are variables. I've had semi fancy wood that was very impressive but then beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. Certainly 'extra fancy' and possibly 'hand select' would put you in an interesting arena. I always have gone for the accent line on the cheek piece and really like it. Some dislike it though and thats fine. Having had both polished and the matte, glass bead blasted finish on the barrels... I actually prefer the the matte. A weathered, polished barrel I don't have though and that may be a different story. Dress it up as much as you like and your pocket book allows. It's yours after all. At the heart you'll have a beautiful rifle regardless of how much make up its wearing. Enjoy.

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

We didn't have the luxury of time or added cost but managed to find the few things we did want. Our semi-fancy stocks came nice and dark with good figure offset on the butt and full in the fore. From my research beforehand it seemed the pack hardening was the most often recommended, but our standard CCH also came nice and deep and dark. Also got the brass (a minimal cost so worth it IMHO). Finish came standard but bein a bit of a woodworker we put an AA finish on it with pure tung oil and may be trying Formby's finishing too.
"Show the slightest preference for this or that, and heaven and earth become infinitely far apart."
Is it any accident that "Statute of Limitations" and "S**t Out of Luck" share the same acronym? I think not (therefore I am).
johnl

Post by johnl »

Laowho wrote:We didn't have the luxury of time or added cost but managed to find the few things we did want. Our semi-fancy stocks came nice and dark with good figure offset on the butt and full in the fore. From my research beforehand it seemed the pack hardening was the most often recommended, but our standard CCH also came nice and deep and dark. Also got the brass (a minimal cost so worth it IMHO). Finish came standard but bein a bit of a woodworker we put an AA finish on it with pure tung oil and may be trying Formby's finishing too.

Post pictures of your purchase please and thanks :D
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

Okay John. Will do. Gimme an hour to figure it all out. (Not a smart phone person, etc. But my wife or the kids will help.)
"Show the slightest preference for this or that, and heaven and earth become infinitely far apart."
Is it any accident that "Statute of Limitations" and "S**t Out of Luck" share the same acronym? I think not (therefore I am).
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

Obvious apologies for poor quality. Just tryin to give an idea of what we wanted and why we were happy. Had the option of another identical #1 in terms of options, but we like knotty/irregular wood grains (burls actually).

Getting a "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached" message. Just read the FAQ here and may need admin. approval? Sorry. Somebody will advise.
Laowho

Post by Laowho »

John,

Posted the pics over @ Historic

http://historicshooting.com/mybb/showth ... p?tid=1757

Lemme know if you need better or other. Cheers