Mounting MVA tang sight

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Mounting MVA tang sight

Post by Todd Birch »

At last! My new Shiloh 45-70 Sporter will be in my hot little hands come Friday. It will have a Shiloh globe on it. I've got a new MVA mid-range tang sight for it.

Any advice or pointers on installing it?
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
johnl

Re: Mounting MVA tang sight

Post by johnl »

Todd Birch wrote:At last! My new Shiloh 45-70 Sporter will be in my hot little hands come Friday. It will have a Shiloh globe on it. I've got a new MVA mid-range tang sight for it.

Any advice or pointers on installing it?

Hey Todd, should of gotten Shiloh to install one, or at least the MVA base if you already have the sight. Anyway you can use shims to square the base or if you are good with a file, use gently on the side that sits proud. However if you are lucky your sight might not need any adjustment other than not over torquing the screws.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks, John! Yes, I could have had Shiloh install a base, but I've been hanging onto this sight for a few years now. I bought it when I ordered my 50-70 carbine and never mounted it as it shot so well without it. It's my 'go to' hunting rifle but it does OK on the range as well.

Last summer I won our club's CAS "mini-Quigley" event shooting at 28 oz. tomato cans off hand at 100m. All other rifles in the event were 30"-32" barrel rifles with tang sights. I shot first and went 3/3, calling my can each time I stepped to the line.

I kidded the other guys that it was due to my .50 being superior to their 'small bore' .45's, most shooting smokeless. They were not amused .....
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Good info here for any tang sight install.
I do not agree about the use of paper, for shims.
That's why I buy flat stock 'feeler' gauges at garage sales. :wink:
http://leeshavergunsmithing.blogspot.co ... r-lee.html

Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Congratulations on the pending arrival of your new Shiloh. Sure you'll love it. With regard the sight installation, I think you may be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps I've been more fortunate than some but to date I've not needed to shim any of the MVA bases to get them to line up. I usually start by fixing a gun rest in a vice ..or you could probably do it in a decent supportive gun cleaning jig. Then support the rifle with foam or similar until the barrel is horizontal on both planes. If you have a spirit level front sight this is sometimes a little easier. Check to see the foresight is dead vertical. If you've got good eyes... a visual confirmation is often enough. If not a small square with a level will do nicely. Secure the rifle as best you can in this position and loosely install the MVA sight and base. Screws snug but not tightened up. With the sight set on dead centre and the eyepiece down low enough to pick up the barrel plane to the foresight, place a small level against the staff. If you have a rear barrel sight..dont pay too much attention to it at this stage and just concentrate on the tang and the foresight being in line.Now generally ( this may be where I've been lucky ) it is so close to vertical that alternating the torque or tightening of the the two base screws will true it up. Sometime it's been spot on. If shimming is needed, even folded up aluminium pie plate will do. Just trim it nicely and its 'out of sight..out of mind'. You may not need it though. Good luck and put up some photos for all to see . HTH. :wink:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Thanks for the info!

I mounted a C. Sharps mid-range on my Shiloh Business Rifle 20 years ago and I guess I got lucky as it went on plumb and still is. Once I get my paws on the rifle, I'll see what the current rifle requires.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Todd,

I've found the newer, CNC'ed Shiloh rifles to have good, plumb mounting surfaces. The older ones, not so much.

Clarence
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

The rifle arrived Friday last. I'm quite pleased with it overall. The wood is not as 'blond' as it appeared in the web site photo due to flash. More of a medium brown tone. I think that is why it was there so long before I bought it. I can darken it to my taste.

I levelled the barrel in a padded vise then mounted the tang without snugging it down tight. Surprise, surprise .... the staff was square! No shimming or base filing necessary.
I ground a screw driver to fit the slots and tightened them. Once I '0' it on paper, I'll use blue Loctite on the threads. Or is that not a good idea?
johnl

Post by johnl »

Todd Birch wrote:The rifle arrived Friday last. I'm quite pleased with it overall. The wood is not as 'blond' as it appeared in the web site photo due to flash. More of a medium brown tone. I think that is why it was there so long before I bought it. I can darken it to my taste.

I levelled the barrel in a padded vise then mounted the tang without snugging it down tight. Surprise, surprise .... the staff was square! No shimming or base filing necessary.
I ground a screw driver to fit the slots and tightened them. Once I '0' it on paper, I'll use blue Loctite on the threads. Or is that not a good idea?

Not sure about loctite, however blue is pretty mild. Post pictures please, of gun, not the loctite :lol:
Straightneck

Post by Straightneck »

Purple Loctite works great,, blue can cause a screw OOPS

Mason
Three "G's" made AMERICA GREAT
GOD-Girls-Guns
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Straightneck wrote:Purple Loctite works great,, blue can cause a screw OOPS

Mason
Blue is all I use on gun work. The tip of a soldering iron will heat the screw and release the Loctite. :wink:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

10 posts on how to put 2 screws in ?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

Compared to some of the nonsensical blatherings that go on for pages on this forum, this topic was quite concise. Asking an intelligent question on a public forum of like minded people has the reasonable expectation of an intelligent answer. You have the options of (a) not reading the comments, (b) not responding with intelligent input, or (c) responding as you did. Unlike you, I learned a few things.

The decorum on the internet and social media has devolved to a sad level where people think it acceptable to speak or behave in an inappropriate manner they would not use in a personal conversation.
Todd Birch

Post by Todd Birch »

I for got to add .... my favourite quote from John Wayne, explaining his philosophy to "Bond" (Lauren Bacall) in "The Shootist":

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."

I have this above my computer as a reminder about how to behave on the net.
battleship gunner

Post by battleship gunner »

The John Wayne quote was to Gillum Rogers not Bond Rogers.

Just sayin,

Frank

My long distance provider is Sharps.