Basic barrel sights on my Quigley shoot 12 MOA low!

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Flintlock Hokie

Basic barrel sights on my Quigley shoot 12 MOA low!

Post by Flintlock Hokie »

I shot my Quigley for the first time today. At 50 yards all my shots went 6 inches low! Since there is no elevation adjustment on the basic semi-buckhorn rear sight there doesn't appear to be a fix for this. :(

With the flip-up in the raised position and at its lowest setting, the point of impact appears to be to high, but even if I could get on target with the flip-up sight, that's not a good solution. I had hoped to be able to use the basic rear sight for 100 yards and use a pre-set position on the rear flip-up for say 150 yards. For most shooting the rear sight would be lowered, but I could raise it if a good shot presented itself out to 150 yards. Even if I can find a setting on the flip-up that works for 100 yards, I don't want to hunt with the flip-up constantly in the raised position.

The thought occurred that I could shorten the front post. That solves the problem for that post insert, but if I use another insert I'll have the problem all over again.

What is the solution?

Very disappointed! :(

Best regards,

Tom
Lumpy Grits

Re: Basic barrel sights on my Quigley shoot 12 MOA low!

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Your #111 front sight is to tall for the rear barrel sight.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
montana charlie

Post by montana charlie »

Flintlock Hokie wrote:I shot my Quigley for the first time today. At 50 yards all my shots went 6 inches low! Since there is no elevation adjustment on the basic semi-buckhorn rear sight there doesn't appear to be a fix for this. :(
The rear portion of the rear sight sits on top of a part called the 'base'. The base has 'ears' on both sides which keep the sight centered on the base.
Tapping the base left and right is how you adjust windage for the rear sight.

If there was a shim between the base and the bottom of the sight, your point of impact will be higher on the target.
Some experimenting with various shim thickness may make your current sights useable for the intended purpose of hunting with the ladder down flat.

Additionally, when you flip the ladder up, you may well have an 'indent' on the ladder which will give you that 'longer range zero'.

The shim can be anything, even folded paper.
But, metal is durable, available, and of more precise thicknesses.

Personally, I would try shims until I found the one I want ... then hot glue it down firmly on the base.
Using hot glue, the whole thing can be removed easily if you desire.
What is the solution?

The solution is to use sights that match each other. A globe front needs a tang sight.
A low barrel-mounted rear needs a front blade that can be filed for zero.
Very disappointed! :(

This is a common emotion when somebody buys something that he doesn't fully understand.
Retired...twice. Now, raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time...
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

At 6" low, you're lucky with the sights you're using.

Mine was 6' low and with the front sight (regular blade) filed to nothing, it was still 4' low !!
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

At 6" low, you're lucky with the sights you're using.

Mine was 6' low and with the front sight (regular blade) filed to nothing, it was still 4' low !!
bobw

Post by bobw »

From my own experiences Shiloh's frt blade works pretty close with their Full buckhorn rear ,with the top of the blade at the top of the notch. On bright days I magic marker mine. and if it was gonna stay there permanently replace the silver blade with a pre 1982 penny cut to .350 and tune with a file. IIRC my B gun has the semi buckhorn on it's 30 " barrel and a .338" penny height to give me 4" high at 100 yds with ppb loads of course. bobw
bobw
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

MVA Beech or Lyman #5 will solve your problem. Nuff said.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.